18410 ft (5611 m) Highest point in Mexico

Highest volcano in North America .

20 miles (30 km) NW of Orizaba

Lat / Long: 19.0° N, 97.3° W

Volcanic Type: Stratovolcano

Volcanic Status: Active, last eruption 1687

First Ascent: Henri Galeotti, Nicolas Funck,

Jean-Jules Linden, and Augusto Ghiesbreght, 1838

First Ski Descent: W. Furlinger, 1974 (probably skied much earlier than this)

Skiable Vertical: perhaps over 6000 ft (1800 m)

PopoWest.jpg

Popocatepetl

17930 ft (5465 m) .

40 miles (65 km) SE of Mexico City

Lat / Long: 19.0° N, 98.6° W

Volcanic Status: Active and erupting as of 2003,

many eruptions since 1995

First Ascent: Diego de Ordaz and

soldiers of Cortez, 1519

First Ski Descent: Francisco Gonzalez Rul and

Eduardo de Maria y Campos, 1947

Skiable Vertical: over 6000 ft (1800 m) on occasion

Iztaccihuatl.jpg

Iztaccihuatl

17160 ft (5230 m) .

35 miles (55 km) SE of Mexico City

Lat / Long: 19.2° N, 98.6° W

Volcanic Status: Dormant

First Ascent: James de Salis, 1889

First Ski Descent:

Skiable Vertical: over 5000 ft (1500 m) on occasion

Cool pictures and data. This world is so full of mountains and snow that it makes the actual ski industry and resorts seem utterly irrelevant (an opinion I formed some time ago).

You know that there are glaciers on the equator? Mountains are great.

Taguchi - get into it if you go there. I have got some South American action on the boil for next summer myself (mountaineering/snowboarding trip with some Chamonix guides and 'enthusiasts')

• 3 months later...

Whats up Ocean?

Did you make it to the Andes this summer?

taguchi, spend 6 months in South America. Argentina and Chile will keep you busy all that time and more. Mexico has no skiing options.

Take care and keep skiing.

Hello camel, good to see you back!

Did I make to the Andes this summer? Are you kidding? Wouldn't mind though.

I was just playing with my fancy website stat tracking software and on one of the activity maps I noticed that I had been Googled from La Paz. Looks like a girlfriend from my university days was checking me out. Might have to swing by that way one day...

I'm heading to south america in July next year, kicking off a long journey... I want to do a season in Argentina, Surf the Andean coast, Surf Brazil with my brazilian friend, then head up to mexico and central america to surf there with my freind. After that, i'm going up to Utah to spend the season at a resort there, then over to Europe for the summer where i want to travel eastern europe then surf france and morrocco again. At the end of the summer I want to go boarding in Austria until i run out of money and fly back to oz.

Of course, there will be other things besides surfing and boarding...namely: girls, music festivals/concerts and food as well as searching out skateparks.

Anyone know a good information resource for Argentinian ski resorts?

Quote:
Originally posted by snosurf:
I'm heading to south america in July next year, kicking off a long journey... I want to do a season in Argentina, Surf the Andean coast, Surf Brazil with my brazilian friend, then head up to mexico and central america to surf there with my freind. After that, i'm going up to Utah to spend the season at a resort there, then over to Europe for the summer where i want to travel eastern europe then surf france and morrocco again. At the end of the summer I want to go boarding in Austria until i run out of money and fly back to oz.

Of course, there will be other things besides surfing and boarding...namely: girls, music festivals/concerts and food as well as searching out skateparks.
Mate, that sounds like a really shit trip. I don't think you will have much fun at all. Stay at home, get a desk job.

Hey guys!

Greetings from Chile! wave.gif

If you got any question regarding the ski resorts here and Argentina.

Feel free to ask. \:\)

Also I will be working at Niseko this coming winter.

Come and ride with us, then I can tell you everything I know about SA. ;\)

This site is normally an ok place to start when thinking about OS trips:

www.boardtheworld.com

it’s a good place to kill some time and they’ve got a fairly comprehensive trip section and resort reviews. Some may say that the mag it is attached to is responsible for blowing japan open to aussie snowlovers. I know I saw some crazy pics of japan in there and hopped on a plane the next year.

I’m planning an eastern Europe mission for next winter, but that’s aaaaggggeeess away.

Snosurf, that trip sounds EPIC. And you should tee up Perry Moon for some info. I bet he’s got hot sisters ;\)

Bushpig - Have been trying to get some mates to come along but the fools have other ideas! That's alright but, travelling on your own has more pros than cons. Plus I do know a lot of perth crew who are hitting (lower) SA next year, so won't be alone for that part.

db le spu - Yeh plenty of time for that mate, it's my chance to travel and I've got to snatch it...been studying tourism for 3 years, wasting my life...this is my honours course: honours in tourism.

Perry -

(i)How much is your average season pass for argentina/chile?

(ii) Are the montains crowded?

(iii) Are the boarders/skiiers mainyl local/tourists?

(iv) When is the best snow, generally?

(v) what is your favourite mountain in arg/chile and why?

spook - thanks mate i'll check out that site... Eastern Europe is the greatest. Girls, history, food, beer and best of all, one of the few places in the world where you still get value for money. Plus there is some ok mountains too...

Mantas - I hear that chile is bloody cold...do you need a 4/3 wettie? I only have a 2/2 haha...Are they predominantly reefbreaks or beachies? I hear boards over there are pretty cheap, is that true? Are the waves within close proximity of each other?

Any info would be appreciated mate.

The theme for this trip is unplanned. I'm not taking a big packpack - just a little one with a couple of changes of clothes. I'll buy random op-shop attire happily...not like i'm gonna see anyone i know while wandering around beunos aires. Of course i'll bring all my boarding gear too...but avoid carting it around at all costs.

Hope to pick up a (surf)board or 2 when i get to chile, peru or brazil.

Needless to say, I'll be living off the smell of an oily rag....and my Visa card \:D

spook:

I do have some hot "brothers" if you are interested \:D

snosurf:

Quote:
(i)How much is your average season pass for argentina/chile?
Season pass price should cost around 600~800USD depends on the resort. There are some great discounts for early booking.(before Dec.)

Quote:
(ii) Are the montains crowded?
Except from some weekends and winter vacation.

The resorts are pretty empty.

Sometime you get the feelings of the whole mountain for your self.

Quote:
(iii) Are the boarders/skiiers mainyl local/tourists?

Depends on the region.

If you stay in a ski resort that is located at the central region of Chile (Which are : La Parva, El Colorado, Valle Nevado, El Portillo)

You will find a lot more turist than local.

Specially ppl from Brazil, which is a good thing, if you know what I mean (HOT GIRLS!) cool.gif

Also lots of europeans and americans.

Some of the resort located at the south of Chile and Argentina also have a good deal of tourists.

Quote:
(iv) When is the best snow, generally?
Last year and this past season we have had some very good snow.

Generally the best snow is around Aug. and Sep.

Quote:
(v) what is your favourite mountain in arg/chile and why?

My favorite mountain is Valle Nevado.

Exceptional off piste runs.

Good snow fall and terrain variation.

Modern when compared to most resorts of S.A.

Small but good park and the only pipe in S.A.

Best in Argentina is Cerro Catedral at Bariloche.

Largest in S.A.

hahaha no prob!

believe it or not, we got some excellent fishing down here as well \:D

I am kindda stuck in a work visa situation.

But if everything goes as planned, I'll be working for the Niseko Adventure Centre(NAC) ski school.

at the Niseko-Hirafu area.

Sno surf- I'll post some info for you tomorrow night when I have more time.

Four words. .... Long lonely left handers and I do mean looooooonnnnng. and yes it's bloody cold.

One of the most amazing places you could ever visit.!!