• 1 month later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
Kuma – second what FT said. My Arcteryx Theta SK pants are the single best bit of kit I own. They are designed to get the job done and I couldn’t recommend them more highly. If only other bits of gear performed so well. The high sides and back makes physical touring, scrambling and crashing much more comfortable than normal cut pants that you have to tuck everything into. The side legs zips are also fantastic. Get these pants, it’s a no brainer.

I ripped mine on crampon points but can repair them.

http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?prod=3567
Spud arcteryx has pulled the theta sk from their lineup this year. They are just sticking with the minuteman bib. I wish the remaining stock would go on sale though sadglass.gif
i was hoping the sidwinder sv would go on steep and cheap but now I think they are selling the jackets remaining from last year as 07's since the maroon colour didn't change

bargain of the summer so far (for me anyway..)

got a Goretex XCR 3L shell for 30 quid - about 6000yen!

it's next seasons' Nike ACG top of the range snow-specific shell, zip out powder skirt, vents, waterproof zips. blah blah. Super light packs down really small too.

Don't like Nike stuff that much, well don't care really, but as they are trying to be accepted by the snowsports buying public, their stuff is pretty good quality (unlike complacent brands already at the top).

Alot of their styles are still wack though!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
hey, you're right! I just looked under pants-watersports and didn't see them.
hmmm, that means no closeout prices
Well, theres no pleasing a man with tits.

dude, I am ALL about discounts. I think I would prob buy something worth 500$ with 15% off rather than something at $300 with no discount thumbsup.gif

but anyways, I have til the end of sept to use a 15% off coupon at bc.com so I will prob get the theta sk pants and sidewinder sv or ar. just trying various techniques to justify the price in my head

spud how is the sizing of your sidewinder jacket.

Is it larger than other companies? I'm trying to figure out the sizing charts for arcteryx but it looks like I'm only a large instead of the xl that I normally am with burton & other makers. I am worried about getting that skintight 'skier' look lol.gif

I'm decided on the theta sk. just waiting for my size to come in to backcountry.com

I still haven't got around to selling mine. True to form I probably never will.

I am not a big bodied person, certainly not an obese lump of jello like you. From memory my pants and jacket are medium size and fit ok rather than being too big (I am usually a small medium). So I don't think they are larger than the marked sizes. Having said that, the cut on the jacket is generous to allow for free movement and also wearing a puffy insulated jacket underneath.

eeeeeee. Are you trying to be funny? The guy in the red is me, and I am wearing Arcteryx Theta SK pants. The theta SK pants aren't tight on me, no even slightly. They may look it in the picture, but they are not. If anything, mine are a bit big and lose. Hours before that picture was taken I even caught a crampon spike near my knee and tore the material.

If you are talking about the guy on the other right, with the rope and skis: dunno what pants he is wearing, but my theta's aren't nearly as tight as his pants appear. He would be predisposed to tight fitting pants as he is a professional mountaineer who climbs things.

I'm staring to think you're a weirdo. ;\)

Knock yourself out on this shot, pervert.

meandneilsummitMB.jpg

thanks for the pic spud lol.gif

if u look at the first photo you'll notice that you can't see your pants (well only one leg, and not very well at that!)

great, I am now ready to order my theta sk as soon as my size comes in thumbsup.gif

• 2 months later...

So thanks to Spuds advice I ended getting the 3l goretex arcteryx theta sk pants and sidewinder sv jacket. This really hurt my bank account but it's all about rationalizing, baby!

Anyways, the pants are great but a bit thin style-wise. This is fine since I'll only be wearing them in the bc where everybody looks like nerds anyways. Function over fashion and all that.

The jacket is awesome too. The cut IS shorter than a snowboard jacket but it is long enough for me. It is longer in the back to not come up at all when I'm doing my grabs!(in the bc? prob just grabbing an onigiri out of my pack lol.gif )

Overall, I'm really satisfied with them and really happy I didn't go with Burton. I re-read the start of this thread when I thought Burton ak goretex was good...but now after comparing the jackets in hand rather than just internet pictures --->no comparison really. The arcteryx is in a different league. 2 thumbsup.gif \:\)

dude, those pants will serve you well for a long time. And the functionality is supreme, especially rolling around in deep powder. I foresee comfortable winter days for you.

And tell me is the sharp Sidewinder jacket collar corner pokes you in the nose and eye and if the stiff felt neck thingy jabs you when its zipped up (did you get the one with stow-able hood?)

didn't like the looks of the stowable collar one. Looks like you're wearing a big turtleneck lol.gif

got the permanent hood one. The collar is not stiff or pointy. The only beef is that the zipper is a bit stiff. Maybe that's because I'm only used to zipping up & down rather than up and then diagonally.

The powder skirt is lacking a place to put the elastic that sticks out when you tighten it. Not that big a deal though, but it would be better if it fed through to the pockets and the surplus would be out of the way. Like the belt on the theta sk's.

thanks for the lead on the pants. I think it was you that convinced me to get them. The price is a turnoff but when I think about what I could get for $340us in snowboard pants and I feel alot better.

Now, I just need to pickup some nikwax to re-waterproof my burton pants for resort riding and I'll be set thumbsup.gif