I imagine there's lots of posts on this topic but maybe there's new info for the 07 season. I'm looking at a 2l or a 3l.

I'm sure our resident gear whore Spud will jump with a page-long post that will clear it all up lol.gif

Spud how about starting a Gear wikipedia?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first off find out wieght. second stick to brands that are made for mountaineering. if you buy bulky its just wieght and packs large. my jacket is less than 400 grams and packs very small.

mine

keep your old resort gear and use that at resorts. the life of your expensive hiking gear will extend.

Even though you may not like the fashion of mountaineering gear it's much better for getting beyond the ropes where you might encounter difficult weather and strange conditions

And 3 is better than 2

I don't like the 2L jacket. Well I don't like either of them. But the pockets on the 2L will get in the way of any backpack hip belt that you wear

yes yes the and hte ak stuff is overpriced for what it is. buy pants for sking or ice climbing. they have crampon protection some what. also think about zip offs. i like mine for pooping so much easier.

i've got the 2 layer haglofs jacket - FT's is a shell and amazingly light - go for that or the 2 layer one (heli jacket 635g) highly recommend haglofs gear, expensive but extremely high quality and super light.

oi bandana boy what are you talking about fashion for? anyway haglofs is steeeeeeezin... FT that was just for u baby ;\)

I wouldn't say it's overpriced. the 3l is 6man5000 which is what you're looking at for a goretex xcr 3l from north face/patagonia/hagloffs/acteryx/etc

hadn't thought about crampon protection for pants though.

hope to hear from some snowboarders too! all these skiers with funny style ideas are too much sometimes! lol.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
but unless i can get a proform I will prob just get patagonia
ha ha, which is an admission that Burton stuff is overpriced, especially in Japan!

Does that mean you can butter up some j-mates that work in a shop here?

;\) just teasing.

The 3L looks way better if you are going to wear a pack most of the time - don't worry about the weight - 3L is heavier (whichever brand is sewing it together) but it is tougher and will stay dry longer (not an issue if it's cold and dry, but important over a season over heavy use, and if it is wet snow / rain). The AK range is all pretty light. The pockets on the 2L should be up on the chest, and they will add wieght, as well as Toque's point about hip belts.

Stear well clear of mountaineering only brands!
They are great for mountaineering, but they will be too short in the body for snowboarding, and leave you tugging at them, feeling all unstylish
like...
.. a skier!

(go on, take the bait...)
 Quote:
Originally posted by AK 77:
 Quote:
but unless i can get a proform I will prob just get patagonia
ha ha, which is an admission that Burton stuff is overpriced, especially in Japan!

I can get Patagonia at a VERY reduced price so that's why without getting proform for Burton I would have to go with the Patagonia.

yep, the length is a problem with the skier brands. also, the ultra-skinny legs on the pants.oh, and last year's Patagonia powder skirts were a joke - they were like 10cm wide!

by the way, what size are you? 'cos they've got last year's AK 2L jacket in Large on Blue Tomato for 230 euros which is about 31,000 yen.

It looks better than this year's as all the pockets are flush.

Plus it's in 2L gore (30,000 water, 20,000 breath) soft denim!! so you can laugh at all the shiny skiers!

http://www.blue-tomato.at/ProductDetailAction.bto?detailText=DHgs0W1rSn5QEBWgen8Aie-1

Quote:

I can get Patagonia at a VERY reduced price through some pro contacts so that's why without getting proform for Burton I would have to go with the Patagonia. [/QB]

Go for that then! I like Burton stuff as it's cut really well for riding, and you know you're getting quality, but only in end of season sales / proform if i was lucky in the UK.
Not full price!

Do patagonia make ski and / or snowbaord specific jackets?
 Quote:
not a fan of any of last year's AK line. 31000 is expensive! What was the retail on that?
I switch from Euros to pounds on Blue Tomato, as 50 quid is a man pretty much:

this years AK 2L is 241.47 (just under 5 man)

last years was 227.67, now reduced to 159.37.

not super cheap, but nearly 2 man less than this year's
 Quote:
last year they didn't really. Hopefully they change that up this year. You must be loving the jp prices compared to the uk then.
mostly they seem about the same, but I'm a cheapskate poor person so I never buy stuff at retail anyway!

either 40 to 50 % off at local shop in the UK, or the Helly Hansen outlet shop, or end of season sales...

I wish Mtn brands would make a simple shell with a more generous cut, that wouldn't ride up with the twisting of snowbaording - their snow-skirts are always too high up.
Or maybe my trousers are too far down! ha.

wow, that's quite a big difference!

Is it that much this year too? I ownder if it's also evident on the 'cool' lines like Ronin?

yay! for living in japan.

all i need now is some money...

Have you seen the retro aqua andneon that is this year's flagship ronin colourway?

yikes!

that would be cool!

My HellyH jacket is more sponge than Jacket now (as well as being perhaps the dirtiest jacket on the hill!) so a jacket is the only major expenditure on the horizon for next year...

(why do I doubt that will be the case? ...)