• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnowJapan Admin

There is actually some rather big news coming soon which took me by surprise.

I'm sure we'll all be hearing about it very soon (I don't think it is really appropriate for me to announce it here).

So much for the overseas market saving the day....

530 cancelled trains isn't going to help anyone, but when ski industry people say kibishii, you can take it that they mean kibishii.

While of course someone might buy it up etc, it must be pretty glum times for that region at the moment. Didn't Prince just close a small place in the Myoko area as well?

The local paper has their debts at 11 oku (10 million US$). I thought they might have been more, but it doesn't look like they've ever had many customers. They've been forced out before the BOJ raises interest rates as well. If you can't survive on super-cheap credit, you really are in it.

http://www.niigata-nippo.co.jp/pref/index.asp?cateNo=1&newsNo=2557

Someone will no doubt buy it up, but it still sends a bleak message. Arai seemed very modern in their outlook (well-maintained facilities, proper website, getting foreigners in, powder zones) but the people still haven't come.

Its just way out there really. Once you leave the tiny resort where are you? I found Myoko much more interesting as a town really. That resort will sell for 10 million easy if someone wants to buy it.

• SnowJapan Admin
 Quote:
Someone will no doubt buy it up, but it still sends a bleak message
It sure does.

There are more than a few shocked reactions to this locally this morning - and I'm sure at many other ski resorts as well throughout Japan.

We have worked closely with Arai for a few years now (not just SJ-related but their website as well), and I was not expecting this news when it came through yesterday. After putting a lot of effort into the work we have done with them, and knowing quite a few of the people over there, it it sad to hear.

We wish everyone over there all the best...

That's such a pity. I liked that place a lot. If they ran it like Club Med in Sahoro, they would probably make a fortune. That resort is fully booked well in advance because hordes of foreigners go there, especially from HK. The main attraction is an English-speaking environment with guaranteed English-speaking ski instructors. I have many HK friends who make their reservations for Club-Med Sahoro in June to ski during the next Winter.

I certainly hope someone buy-out the place and keep it going.

Lots of foreigners actually do/did actually go to Arai and it is I think quite English-friendly... it was something they put a decent effort into.