OK iwate people, or people who have been, tell me about the snow conditions you have experienced up there. I'm thinking of taking a trip this next winter and wondering where the best places to hit might be snow condition wise. I know it depends on the day and all that but generally, y'know.

Fantastic snow conditions every time I've gone to Iwate. Don't go expecting lots of vert--the mountains just aren't that tall--but they do offer loads of really fun terrain. Phenomenal skiing to be done there, just means more, but shorter, lift rides. The big plus is, your legs hold up for the entire day.

Appi is the one resort with vert, lots of varied terrain and always has some freshies somewhere if you explore or know where to look.

There are a handful of smaller ski places along the river between Iwate-san and Hachimantai-san heading west. I forget all their names and which of them I liked best, but I remember having some good skiing at most of them. (And then there's the bc in the area, but that's a different story)

Thanks for the info folks!

Interesting to hear about the dryness of the snow - Yamagata snow bit wet then?

Ho hum, rach, you've put me on the spot. In my limited experience (3 seasons) I wouldn't call Yamagata snow wet, but it's not normally silky powder either. The best (coldest) conditions I've had are at Appi and Onikobe (Miyagi). This is all relative. No rock or grass skiing here, and my ski bases are unmarked.

Hi Rach,

First qu - ski or snowboard?

I know this sounds like a lame question, but Appi is alot more fun if you are a skier (moguls).

It's still pretty fun if you are on a board, but there are better places.

Geto is good - I only went there once, but it was definately fun (and had good powder when i went in early December - 99-2000 season).

By far my favourite place was 'Hachimantai' (NOT 'Hachimantai Resort' - nearby, and rubbish) which only has 3 old lifts, but the best terrain and snow, and had a 'no boundaries' = anywhere ok, policy from the patrol.

As a result it was popular with local snowboard pros, BC people, but few others! Never queued there, ever.

It is about 45 minutes, at most, i think, from Morioka.

check it out!

also try Hakkoda-san in Aomori, if you are going that far north anyway - another great place

Daver: Love it up there. I wish I could give you a definite yes, but I'm hanging up the books for a real job pretty soon, so who knows how much skiing it will allow for. Think the honeymoon is over, but you never know. I'll let you know come November what the magic eighball says.

AK: Agree with you that its a great place, but careful what you say on a forum like this. "no boundaries=anywhere OK" is a dangerous thing to say. If you go out of bounds, you better be knowledgable, prepared for the worst,and be with a parter who can save your @ss if the worst happens. There are signs all over the boundary of Hachimantai that say something like "ski at your own risk. If you don't have proper avi gear, do not go beyond this point." Words to live by, even if you can't read them.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tohoku bum:

AK: Agree with you that its a great place, but careful what you say on a forum like this. "no boundaries=anywhere OK" is a dangerous thing to say. If you go out of bounds, you better be knowledgable, prepared for the worst,and be with a parter who can save your @ss if the worst happens. There are signs all over the boundary of Hachimantai that say something like "ski at your own risk. If you don't have proper avi gear, do not go beyond this point." Words to live by, even if you can't read them.
I was referring to the 'rules' of the resort - which, even including the signs, are pretty unusual for resorts in Japan.
Agree with what you say though - took all that as given.

The signs that are up at Hachimantai Forest were put up after a couple of deaths last year.

You still can do pretty much what you like but they do approach people more often.

The snow has usually been good in the area and the bonus is the crowds tend to be smaller unless you happen upon Appi but there are so many other options than Appi.

I usually meet a friend in Osaka and pick up someone else in southern Nagano on the way up there.

• 3 weeks later...

The problem I have with that area, whatever that means, is that there only seems to be a couple of resorts. Compare that to Nagano where there's tons of places near each other and it looks like a big trek.

Are there lots of people there who thrust their stubbly jaw into your face, poke you in the chest, and growl "We're raght friendly oop 'ere, not lahk you snooty Sootherners!!"?