I'm going to be getting some new boots in time for next winter, and interested in hearing what people use (and like) and what people have been recommended that I can use as I look around and research.

Thanks!

\:\)

all boots are good man. like skiis, gone are the days when it could be concluded that some companies are good, where as others are not. it is more an issue of what boots fit your foot. each company has a different type of fit and the best thing i can recommend is that you first consider the type of skiing you want to do, how much you intend to do it, and how much comfort you are willing to sacrifice in the name of performance. then, go to a proper ski shop with a knowledgeable boot fitter and all the boots that fit into your perameters. invest a couple of afternoons trying out all the different pairs. take notes of the ones that you like the best. take note of how stiff they are. (you don't need stiff boots nearly like you used to) take note of the forward lean in the boot. (you don't need nearly as much anymore) take note of the how much you knees knock/bow when you stand flat in the boots. take note of where you feel pressure, how much pressure, is that pressure something that can be adjusted via punching, ect...

i know that isn't exactly the answer you were looking for but it is the honest truth regarding the issue. good luck.

do you have custom foot beds? i cannot stress how much of a difference they make. not really worth the investment if you are only putting in a few days a year, but if you don't mind parting with another 20,000 give or take, they are well worth the investment.

Do you (honestly) carve your turns? If not, comfort is your only consideration. Buy the most comfortable cheap boot you can find and spend the money you saved on some lessons and more days out on the slope until you can.

If yes, and you go more than ten days a season, definitely invest the extra 20,000 yen in custom-fitted heat-molded inners for vastly improved comfort and performance.

With molded inners, the make/model of boot shells themselves comes down to skiing style (as daver said), which is primarily a question of what stiffness and lean you need and want. The rest is just icing.

I chose Salomon b/c I've got a really narrow foot and they're the only one's that fit well. I chose their red racing boot (I forget the model) because I prefer really stiff aggressive boots (the only thing stiffer was Nordica's racers, but they didn't fit my foot nearly as well). You can always make a hard boot "softer" by buckling them looser, but you can't make a soft boot stiffer. But if you're beginner to intermediate, it is possible you may hate having such an aggressive boot and it may actually keep you from improving.

Get an idea of what boot will fit your foot.

narrow foot, wide foot, high foot etc.

all boot companys dont make the same shape.

know the flex that you want.

i bring my old boots in and try to stay at the same flex.

Find a good boot fitter dont go cheap at alpen unless you dont want any service done to your boots. I get so much service done so i go to a good small shop to get fitted.

take your time with every model over 15 mins at least i do 1 hr in them. it the only way to find the presure points.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tohoku bum:
You can always make a hard boot "softer" by buckling them looser, but you can't make a soft boot stiffer.
Don't buckle your boots to lose as this might result in shin splint.
The only way to really soften a ski boot is by burning holes in the plastic although I wouldn't advise you not to do this.

I use Lange race boots but before I used Raichles 2 completely different boots both with advantages and disadvantages.

Go to a good shop and really take your time fit a pair of boots tighten them well and walk/stand in them for 30 minutes see how they feel then.

If you want a stiff boot London Sports in Kanda have a few Salomon race shells for about 12,000 + 25,000 for custom inner = 37,000 for a great boot. That is probably the best deal you can get.

Ive got some Banchees (spelling) too. Very nice boots. Bit too stiff for what Im lookin for now. Quite heavy as well.

Id like to get a lighter and more flexible boot. Would like to try some Raichles.

What boots are you using SKI?

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
Would like to try some Raichles.
What size are you looking for? I have 2 pairs collecting dust might as well get rid of 1. I think I have a 43 but I should double check.

Flexon equipe Black

Not used much (10-15 days)

Although I forgot that I sort of modified them. They are now a bit stiffer in the flex then before, but you could reverse it.

They are in storage now so I can't check the size immediately, but it should be 27,5 or 28.