• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey kumapix i couldn't agree with you more about some of the jumps in Japan. It's the worst thing when you it a jump for the first time and realise that it's just not right. You thing you've got the right speed then you hit the kick and you suddenly think, 'damn, this jump just is not right, there's no chance i'm going to make it over the table top'. If you have a slow board and you're at a relatively flat mountain like Niseko, you're always gonna struggle to clear the flats (expecially on a powder day) and land on the down. It frustrated me to the point where I just plain stopped hitting jumps while in Niseko...

And as for the olympics in Nagano, I think there is a lot of talk about the economic aftermath but a lot less consideration about its affect on the local japanese communities. Clearly there were local people quite literally left out in the cold once the IOC circus packed up and left town. As is the usual case, not enough planning was done beforehand.

• 2 months later...
 Quote:
Clearly there were local people quite literally left out in the cold once the IOC circus packed up and left town
From what I gather, lots of people felt like that before and during the circus was in town.

a very interesting thread.

When thinking about the common facilities the linked ski areas I have been to all had, they include a common ski pass as mentioned earlier but also a very good bus service easily linking all areas.

Until transportation and a common ski pass is introduced then growth will be inhibited IMHO.

I don't think accessability is a real problem, passionate sliders, whether skiers or boarders generally expect to have to travel.

Quote:
Originally posted by nagpants:
I agree about the link ups but

Quote:
passionate sliders
But they don't make up the mass market, do they?
I can only speak from my experience. But that is that the skiers I know, at all levels of experience and ability, are used to travelling a long way. Even when living in England we would take a longer trip to the US even though mainland Europe was a short flight away. (Also I am only a strong intermediate skier so it wasn't like I was looking for extreme terrain).

I know plenty of fair weather skiers who also would happily travel 12 - 15 hours for a ski trip even if it is only an irregular experience.

Obviously you need the percieved ease of accesibility, however that may only need be regular train times, limited stops and easy connections. Sometimes perception is more important than reality in my opinon. In which case it then comes down to marketing. For this you need a consistent approach from the commercial concerns in an area. The equivalent of a chamber of commerce can help.

You have to present the perception of easy accesibility. Once I am at a resort, if I enjoy it enough I don't care how I got there. So, again I am back to wanting an all mountain pass and an easy way of getting round the valley.

As an aside I approached the english speaking website for Hakuba tourism and asked a couple of questions, I didn't get a reply to either the initial or follow up request. I realise there may be many reasons for that but it doesn't give a good impression.

Anyway, just my thoughts on ski tourism generally.