DC Shoe USA

My "posse" all ride DC. The model names change yearly, but we all have the ones with Boa lacing and a removable "pump" liner.

Awesome boots.

One seemingly odd but much-appreciated feature is a gel pad on TOP of the toes, to help prevent the infamous "black toenail of death" from landing hard on the icy stuff off of jumps and jibs.

I, on the other hand, recommend against boa lacing. It tightens the whole boot to the same tightness which increases the possibility of pressure points. I usually ride with the toes loose, the ankle super tight and the shin not so tight. The burton speed zone lacing system has 2 separate sections (upper & lower) so you have more adjustability.

I had burton ions this year and they were amazing. the thing with boots though, is that you have to go to a shop and try on as many different pairs as you can to see what feels best on your foot. There's been many a time when I've decided on a boot just by looking at a catalogue but when I try it on it doesn't feel good and end up buying something completely different.

32 boots have a real good rep too

You're right there Kumapix - the best boot is the one that feels best on your foot. Recommendations from other people are ok, but without doing the leg work yourself and trying on the different brands and models on offer it's pretty hard getting a good buy.

I have the Ion as well and really like them. They're getting a bit ratty now and need to be retired, but I'm dreading going through the whole process again to find another pair that I like.

I wish the manufacturers would stop messing with the product. It seems that when I find a pair of boots that I like I almost need to buy a couple of pairs because I just know that after a couple of seasons the model will have changed so much it will be a completely different boot and won't suit me anymore. Same thing with running shoes!

Doesn't count as a recommendation, but I picked up an old pair (old model, but new) of Santa Cruz boots about 6 years ago for 2000 yen. Old stock getting sold cheap. I didn't even know they made snowboard gear. Anyway, 6 years down the track I am still using them. Most comfy pair of boots I have owned, and never had any probs with water, blisters, or anything! Old-school lace-up boots though which is a pain.

yo Big-Will, sorry you got a quiet response to your boot query.

I reckon boot fit comes down to length/width of foot, chunkiness of ankle/calf. I have average length narrow feet and skinny ankles. For me the Salomon Malamute fits perfectly, I love that boot so much. The Burton Drivers on the other hand are an appealing boot to me yet they have a very crap fit (partly to do with the crap liner, partly to do with my poofters foot).

It also depends what you like to do with your boot. I like off-piste riding and very stiff boots: Salomon Malamutes. I also dislike laces when overloaded with gear on a BC tour. Piddling around with shoelaces is annoying and wasted energy. Malamute and Drivers both have good closure systems. The Malamute is overdue for some improvement though.

One key feature, in my opinion, that makes a good boot is liner that is quite Spartan, no comfy padded lining which feels nice in the shop but leads to slop in the field. Again, Malamutes do well in this area. But beyond an un-padded liner you should look for a liner that has an integrated lacing system. That is, you can lace the liner to your foot as a completely separate unit to the boot shell. This gives the all important fit. Malamutes have this feature. Sadly, Burton Drivers do not, nor do many other boots. They have an odd system whereby the liner is a loose unit that is tightened by an internal lacing system that is attached to the inside of the shell.. This means that you cant tighten the liner as its own independent unit. and then tighten the shell around the liner. The Malamute liner kind of looks like a boxing boot if you were to take it out of the shell and wear it on its own. It is a brilliant liner and the secret to the success of the Malamute.

I have difficulty seeing the appeal in thermofit liners. They have a hard time eliminating heel lift (unlike the Malamute, which has zero heel lift: vital). Thermofit liners are comfortable and are fantastic in ski boots, but not snowboard boots. If you do get thermos then make sure they thermo-fit them WITH your chosen foot bed already attached to the sole of your foot. Others will argue at this strong statement, but without a decent foot bed, thermofit liners are appalling. They have no arch support at all. A good ski boot will come with a thermofit liner that has its own foot bed. On the other hand, many snowboard boots brag about thermo liners yet sell with no foot bed. They deserve a kick in the nuts for that omission. Comformable make a whole line of foot beds. This year I splashed out and got €50 customised foot beds. If you plan on walking allot then they pay off pretty fast. Either way: don't get a themofit liner without a foot bed and get the thermo-fitting done with the fit bed on your foot (you use a second thin sock or stocking to keep it on...probably makes no sense).

I have literal climbed mountains in my Malamutes and worn them for 17 hours of non stop action. For me they are down right brilliant, my best bit of kit by a mile. If they fit your foot shape and suit your riding objectives then I strongly recommend them. And that is a genuine recommendation, not my usual gushing fluff.

cheers

ps - if you really want to get off piste then also consider ignoring any boot that has an over worked shell design which allows snow and moisture to get trapped in unnecessary parts of the structure. An example of this is the Salomon F22 that my girlfriend uses. No doubt a great boot, but crap for serious dirty off piste work thanks to the huge flaps that cover the lower lacing area. Also pay attention to toe design if you want to hike. A narrow and stiff toe cap that is a smooth shell with no seams is better for hiking. Many boots have a clean toe cap, like an external steel capped boot construction, which is nice to see (Malamutes do, F22's do not).

Quote:
Originally posted by big-will:
Not much of a response (thanks sam, I'll look them up)..... boarding boots not as important as ski boots?
Well, Big-will seemed to have answered everything pretty well.
Personally, i find Salomons way too stiff, but i know people that like them. I grew up in the era of felt sorels, so i still prefer a softer boot. I like 32s (with the moldable liner) but thats just me. The liners are remoldable, so i just might take BW's advice and put some footbeds in there.

But to answer your question, yes, boots are important. I alsways tell my students when i'm instructing that if you choose to buy some gear, spend money in the following order 1)boots 2)bindings 3)board. You can get away by chintzing on board and (sometimes) bindings, but good boots are essential. If your feet aren't happy, you will not enjoy riding.

I don't know about anyone else other than my immediate circle of cohorts and myself, but I've never had any issues with the Boa lacing over-tightening or under-tightening any part of the boot. That of course may be brand-related too. I've had 2 different pairs of Boa-laced DC's since they first introduced them and have liked them a lot.

As with anything, SB boots are fit and usage dependent.

Quote:
If your feet aren't happy, you will not enjoy riding.
Very true.

The first boots I had were pretty cheap I didn't put much thought into it I was more into getting better looking board. I realised this was a mistake when I got much better boots the difference was incredible.