Skiers moving to boarding and boarders moving to skiing

Hi!

I am interested to know why people switch from skiing or boarding to the other and if they stick with it or go back or enjoy both!

Do you have experience of switching?

I am in the process of taking up skiing, did a few days this season. I will continue to snowboard, but want to be able to ski as well. Reasons:

- I have no intention of riding resort runs for more than 10% of any season. Resorts are not satisfying for me (on piste, in bounds). To me "it" is not a recreational activity, it is a pursuit of goals and sensations. I have never ridden a park nor a pipe nor a rail (ok, perhaps once)

- If I must ride groomed runs and they are even a little bit hard packed then skis are way more fun than a vague moon boot skid stick (a bog standard free ride snowboard)

- Being able to ski is logical. I love climbing up things and riding down them. Skis are often the best way to get up (AT), sometimes the best way to ride down, sometimes both.

- Ever since I saw my first TRG 'first descent' style of movie with danz in the Hakkoda carpark lodge in my first 10 days of snowboarding I was lost to the cause, totally consumed by what I saw. If they can do that stuff then so can I. The burn I got in me when I saw that shit is still there. Skiers hands down can take steeper, more technical lines and do so with more aggressive fall line attitude than snowboarders can. It is harder on a snowboard as boards are not the best tool for the job, therefore often seen as more of an achievement. But skiers rip that stuff apart.

- Winners do what 99% of the crowd are too emotionally biased to do. Whilst everyone wastes their energy hating the other guy, I want to be busy riding the best lines on the best tools that my free time allows me to.

- Skiing is a new challenge for me.

That was quite an arrogant answer, but it explains how I feel.

As for skiers taking up snowboarding, I reckon it is because they felt the awesome sensation of flying (almost literally) on powder. A good top speed powder run on a long board is the best sensation I have ever had in any activity (including surfing... but I have never been tubed at g-land or cloudbreak either).

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
but I have never been tubed at g-land or cloudbreak either). [/QB]
well you just said it!
$400 US will get you that thrill for a week. Seriously a wave that can give you up to five pits on the one wave... kills it hands down!

Indo - I was very tempted to go there two weeks ago. So close. Although I had sumbawa on my radar. Too late to book for Fiji.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:

we got spud on our side.

Not quite yet. Getting good at BC skiing takes way longer than snowboarding so it will be a few seasons before I am good enough to enjoy the descent on skis. But I will BC tour a few times next season on skis to get a feel for the challenges, like when the bastards (skis) go in different directions on crusty inconsistent snow. I rode off-piste (6 inches of fresh on old soft tracks, next to the piste) in Laax for half a day and it is undoubtedly significantly harder than on-piste. In fact, it is very difficult, especially compared to off-piste snowboarding in the same conditions. But that was my first day on skis in 20 years so difficulties off-piste were to be expected.

While the topic is on, I might ask about skis. I have been riding very easy skis and to be honest find them quite noodly and 'skittish'. Is this common for the modern ski shape, or should I go for something slightly less beginner? The dimmensions of teh last pair I rode were:

length 163

tip 105

waist 65

tail 93

I am about 65-70kg, depending on pack and 172cm (taller than FT)

I stored the dimensions in my mobile phone. I want to get a ski suitable for touring (lightish) and also not too advanced. Lots of crew were raving about the Movement Apple skis last season. Probably too advanced for me. I will be using dynafit bindings, so that also infuences my ski choice. Planning to get out on skis 3 times before next winter and want to buy a second hand ski next month (can't rent because I use AT boots that dont fit alpine bindings).

"I rode off-piste (6 inches of fresh on old soft tracks, next to the piste) in Laax for half a day and it is undoubtedly significantly harder than on-piste. In fact, it is very difficult, especially compared to off-piste snowboarding in the same conditions."

97 - there is your answer. Spud got it in one. If you ask around you'll probably find that the skiers who do cross over are often not the very good/experienced skiers (i.e. skiers who can handle going off the groomers). More people than ever are going off piste these days and an average skier simply can’t keep up with an average boarder off piste. I’m out on a limb here but I reckon the majority of snow enthusiasts are at best at the average/intermediate skill level – hence a lot of skiers have crossed over. There is also the appeal of the new and to some degree (although I think this is eroding quickly) rebel cache that boarding likes to pretend it has which draws some people as well. None of the upper intermediate/advanced skiers I ride with have any real desire to cross over even if during moments of weakness they do express admiration for the loose hipped nonchalance that good boarders display to such great effect. ;\)

Quote:
I have been riding very easy skis and to be honest find them quite noodly and 'skittish'. Is this common for the modern ski shape, or should I go for something slightly less beginner? The dimmensions of teh last pair I rode were:
modern skis are more noodly than old skool sticks. In general a ski with an extreme sidecut is constantly 'searching' for an edge when you point them straight down.

But do you want to learn how to ski or do you want to learn how to come down a steep face on skis?

-A stiffer ski will be easier to control at higher speeds, but more difficult to turn at lower speeds.
-For skiing steeps a stiff ski will get you more edge control.
-Side-cut isn't really important for skiing steeps as you won't be carving your turns.
-length: whatever you feel comfortable with. As you mentioned being taller than FT you should at least go for his minimum length 190 ;\) .
-Wider skis give you more float but are harder to edge with.

A good ski for the touring you want to do would be Dynastar Altitrail Vertical: 103-75-92
or maybe
Dynastar Legend 8000 if you want more powderskiing and pure steep.

I wouldn't buy a Movement ski for the things you would like to do.

cheers Sanno. It will be a long time before I am able to do the kind of skiing that I want to do, but I guess the sooner I learn how to ski powder and mixed off-piste the better. So I will probably lean towards a general purpose off-piste ski for that stuff rather than a carving ski. And when necessary, I am sure I will still be able to work on skiing technique on the groomers using a 'general purpose' off-piste ski.

Quote:
I will be using dynafit bindings, so that also infuences my ski choice.
Dynafit bindings are the future for touring for sure. As soon as I can scrape the cash together I want new dynafit style boots and bindings

The bindings are more than burly enough to handle big skis
I'd be more worried about the soft touring boots you have than the dynafit bindings

CB - Must be my age and losing the edge (if I ever had it),

but is a general mid-fat really 90cm underfoot now.

I can understand that 90 fits midway between 70 ~110, the general range of current waist measurements.

Just I'm still in the 80 is phat(ish) mode, disregarding the big pow sticks.

Would you suggest a mainly on pister like me to try out something of those dimensions next season?

confused.gif

snobee get something near 100 or above you already have the 70 to 90 range covered.

spud id look into 80mm in the waist with a generous side cut. if you come here next year you can test drive my boards (i have many) from there you can make a good choice about what you want.

Thanks for the replies (I got a bit lost with the mid-fat discussion, but... ;\) )

Interesting, I'd like to hear how you get on.

I switch backwards and forwards between skis and boards, lately I board more why? I cant stand boarding on hard icy snow, its a complete waste of time, so I like to ski in such conditions. In Powder conditions all I think about is my board, Boards are to powder what cheese is to pizza - the perfect element. Since 12 out the last 13 days I have had have been powder means I have been doing alot of boarding in Japan and not much skiing.

I did a bit of both this last season and am increasingly enjoying skiing again. It's good to mix it up and have fun. I often choose the board though like you snowglider if tons of pow

Thanks for the advice on the ski dimensions. Once I am settled in Germany I will start shopping for skis. I also need a another snowboard with a narrower waist and deeper side cut. My short board is a 'wide' version of what is already a reasonably straight board. It rides really well at high speed and also ok in chop and powder, all reasons why I went for a wider model. But I don't have a big foot and so am missing a board which can hook controlled tight radius turns easily. With truly tight radius edge-to-edge turns (with no jump turning), I think a snowboarder can out do a skier in very steep and icy terrain where speed is your enemy. The flip side is that edge-to-edge tight turns on a super steep (50+) hard-packed slope is a very tricky technique and requires a load of confidence, especially at that split moment when you're transitioning edges and your board nose is ever so fleetingly pointing directly down the steeps!

More to the topic, I totally agree with the pragmatic opinion of Snowglider: snowboards and riding fast on hard icy snow seldom mix well (particularly on groomed runs).

Fattwins, I may well see you and test some of your skis next season.