FEATURE - International Seasonal Workers - A Couple’s Perspective

A new Setting Journals feature - "International Seasonal Workers - A Couple’s Perspective" - has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/setting-journals-29.html

"Ever wanted to come to Japan and get some of the powder you have been hearing so much about? Done a great deal of skiing/boarding overseas and perhaps met some Japanese folk doing the same? Have a significant other that also wants to come to Japan but worried you may not be able to find work/accommodation together? If you answered yes to any of the above, you are not alone...

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/setting-journals-29.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here...

Blair, no interviews? I presume you speak with them on the phone before them being offered a job? It must be a bit of a risk not meeting them beforehand.

Hi rach

Good to hear from you.

In my mind the process of getting a job at the resort is the interview. I still remember all the red tape I had to go through to get a working holiday visa for Japan.

If you look again at what the couple had to go through to get to the resort:

==============================================

22 October

Initial E-mail enquiring about work arrived at the resort

24 October

Reply forwarded requesting further details

26 October

Resume arrives & is circulated internally

29 October

Further details requested from the candidate

04 November

Further details arrive along with job request for partner

13 November

Work offered and intended arrival at resort set

07 December

Arrival postponed due to red tape related to travel documents

10 January

Red tape dealt with and follow-up enquiry for work forwarded

14 January

Work offered and intended arrival at resort set

25 January

Arrived at resort

==============================================

Only the most dedicated, determined and patient employees get through, on their own coin to boot!

Thanks very much

Blair.

Hi rach

Yes, no interviews.

I do often end up speaking over the telephone with new employees prior to their arrival at the resort though.

Of course it would be ideal to conduct interviews and the like if time permitted.

The other thing is that the work is seasonal, so in some cases the employeee is at the resort for as little as two months (by choice).

Blair.

Orange, youre not a big dude out in Saijo are ya? confused.gif

I got paid (in Niseko) 6,500/day for 8 hours worth of work plus an hour break for lunch or dinner. Also got 3 meals per day, a single room to myself, plus alpha. Tons of free stuff from guests, lost-n-found stuff always made its way to the front staff which includeds alcohol, toques, goggles, gloves, etc. My Kacho and Bucho treated me to lots of food/alcohol. And other managers at the hotel gave me just as much free stuff.

Hirafu ski pass was separate. 95,000 was it?? eek.gif mad.gif But since I logged in a million days that season it worked out to be a pretty good deal for that epic Niseko Gold.

2002-2003 season griller. Havent been back to niseko since - cant beat Nagano...done bout 130-150 days in Niseko and 70-80 in Nagano.

heres what I posted bout my thoughts on Niseko vs Hakuba. Please lets leaving that discussion alone too eh...and not distract from the couples article and wonderful experience \:\)

oh the sweetness of you cb.

you should do an offcial niseko hakuba write up dude. include your above said comments and etc. i think that with the pics you have of both places it will be a cool article. i cant write for crap im all over the place when i do.

griller

Grass is always greener on the other side.

The work at the Guide Center is definitely different from English teacher work.

While both involve a service devoted tomaking kids happy, cold outdoor weather (& the responsibility it brings) involves many issues not normally found in a classroom.