Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum, and since a friend and I decided to go pow-riding in Japan for a month, I figured this was the place to ask questions.

We're planning to do this in combination with a one-month trip to Breckenridge(Colorado), but I frankly don't know anything about riding in Japan, other than some sweet fairytale-sounding stories from Hokkaido, so feel free to give me some pointers. Our plan is to go in the winter of 2007/2008.

1. Which areas are famous for pow-pow?

2. Which resorts are boarderfriendly?

3. How expensive is Japan,compared to the US?

Thanks!!

Hi norwegian and welcome.

You're asking some pretty big questions there.

Probably best to take a look round here and click on some links at the top up there.

Good luck!

lodging here from 3000 to 30000 a nite depends on what you want of course.

food off the mountain quite cheap easy to fill your belly with 1000 yen or less.

beer between 700 to 1000 a 6 pack.

liquior super cheap.

tickets average price of 4000 a day. more discounts can be found but that is the average at window price.

transportation depends on where you go but figure 20000 to get you to and from the resorts and around a bit of J land.

when you actually consider it, a budget trip to any of the big areas in japan is much cheaper than anywhere else in the world. the biggest expense is of course the trasportation to and from the resort, but it is quite cheap once you are at the resort.

yah eating out in japan is cheap thumbsup.gif

the other good thing is lack of lift lines compared to other parts of the world

of course, i'm biased but - hakuba has a lot to choose from... norikura, cortina and tsugaike up in otari and iwatake, happo, 47 and goryu in the village and endless backcountry terrain.... it's sweeeeet, and suitable for so many levels and preferences - there's parks, trees, beginner areas and a wicked apres ski party scene if ya know the right places ;\)

travelling around this country however, is ridiculously expensive - where are the budget airlines around here eh?!

Norwegian,

might wanna check out Arapahoe Basin while your in the area ,just a short drive from Breckenridge (might have a shuttle).

IMO the best ski area in Summit county, also has a very local feel with slow lifts and sick hikable terrain.

We found food to be really good value in Japan. This is comparing to london where it's a total ripoff (as is everything else).

And the snowboarding wasn't budget-busting either.

We were pleasantly surprised.