Quote:
Originally posted by daver:
norikura? what/where is that? why is this a good place to begin your backcountry adventures?
Norikura is just north of Ontake and south of the North Alps. Huge mass of mountain. A ton of people go up there to ski on the snowfield. Racers, snowbladers, bumpers, telemarkers, Randoneers and downhillers, snowboarders...
It's a pretty safe area for terrain and with the spring snowpack even safer

Norikura-dake (different to Hakuba Norikura) is a polular location for spring bc skiing. You may enjoy bc skiing by June-begin (June-end this year?).

Access & BC skill(Easier Beginner):

Norikura Sky Line road opens on May 15. You can reach Tatatami-daira by train/bus from JR Takayama stn., or by car from Hirayu Onsen of R158. Tatamidaira is a popular sightseeing place where you can see many tourists, some lodges, souvenir shops and a post office. You may hike up the top of Mt.Norikura, and ski down to Tatamidaira.

Note: From this 2006 year, you have to park your own car at Okuhida Onsengo (Akandana) parking lot(500 yen) or Hounoki Daira parking lot(N/C), and to take a shuttle bus for Tatamidaira.

Access & BC skill(So-So Intermediate):

You need your own car or a taxi in bc season. Bus service will start from July. You can reach to Sanbondaki from R158. You may hike up the top of Mt.Norikura, and ski down to Sanbondaki. If you do not have your own car, you may find an inn near to Sanbondaki who provides trasportation service.

Yahoo! Map(Norikura-dake):

http://map.yahoo.co.jp/pl?nl=36.6.13.875...e%e8%b0%c8&sc=5

Yahoo! Map(Tatamidaira):

http://map.yahoo.co.jp/pl?nl=36.7.18.029...e%e8%b0%c8&sc=5

Yahoo! Map(Sanbondaki):

http://map.yahoo.co.jp/pl?nl=36.6.52.855...e%e8%b0%c8&sc=6

Road Information:

http://www.hida-norikura.com/skyline.html

Note: Don't use Kamikochi Norikura Super Rindo to go to Tatami-daira or to Sanbondaki.

I planned to go to Harinoki-dake on May 13, but withdrew it, and postponed it to May 20 or 21. Still, I and my friends see avalanche risk in valleys.

Monday? Oh, it will be fine, a forcast tells.

If anyone join me from Tokyo, I may drive my car to Norikura. Sharing gas/highway/parkinglot charge is needed. The picking time/loc is around 22:00 on May 14 Sunday at Den'en'chofu station, Tokyu Toyoko line. We will return to Tokyo on May 15 evening. Please send me an e-mail at snowconnection@yahoo.co.jp if anyone wants to join.

No application came by May 14 18:00. I will not go to Norikura.

Charge of gas & highway from Tokyo is too high to go alone. If I can not find any with me, I will not go. I've not get any at this point.

No e-mail has come by May 14 18:00. Sorry I will not go to Norikura.

Toque, foreast tells it will be still FINE on Monday. Enjoy Norikura !

Snowconnection, do you live around Denenchofu? I'm your neighbour(Okusawa) and sock_monkey as well. Maybe we can share your car sometime this winter??

Toque, have fun Norikura with your GF! ;\)

Went to Kagura for my end of season trip yesterday.

In the morning, conditions were misty and wet, but there was still plenty of decent spring snow to enjoy, even at the bottom of the Mitsumata area. Me and my mate tried out all the runs and the Force Park (which was supposedly closed, but saw plenty of action).

In the afternoon, the sun came out and temperatures rose. This resulted in quite a large amount of snow melting away. If it continues at this rate, 28th of May will really be pushing it. As it is, some of the paths between moguls on the top run became exposed ground, and on the other course off the top of Kagura High Speed 1, what started out as bumps got carved up so much that they ended up as deep moguls. As a result, 90% of the crowd at the top were skiers, and 90% of the crowd at Mitsumata were boarders, including myself. I spent the rest of the afternoon practicing jumps in the Force Park.

Overall, definitely a positive end to the season. I had a really great time, but to avoid disappointment, I think this really will be the last run of the season.

XilR8_1.JPG

Quote:
Originally posted by XilR8:
but to avoid disappointment, I think this really will be the last run of the season.
**** that
You should be out there till there is more dirt than snow
That's when you know the season is ending

There was a report a guy fought debris at Yumiori-dake on May 14. I am not a good skier enjoying skiing on debris. I put off my schedule for Harinoki-dake to May 27 or 28 again.

I would like to go to Norikura on May 21 Sunday if the forecast(at Saturday noon) predicts fine and if I have a mate sharing gas/highway/parkinglot costs. Picking loc/date/time is Denenchofu/May20/22:00. Does anyone raise your hand ?

You missed some beautiful weather SnowConnection

We could see all the way to the South Alps and as far north as Tsurugi and Tateyama

And there wern't many people out there at all. Maybe 10-12 backcountry skiers/boarders

Good day