• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I to am in need of a new compact. I have been scoping the Olympus stylus models. I need something I can more or less beat the shit out of and I am rough on my stuff. The waterproof and shock proof abilities make them desirable for me.

Chodaboy and I go to Akihabara to check out cameras only to find that the Olympus camera I want is not even offered in Japan, its only out in the states. WTF is that about? and more than that the models that they do offer here I can buy for cheaper back in the states, again WTF?

The model I want is the 1030 SW. Im going to have to import a Japanese camera to japan. WTF?

• 1 month later...

I've got a question for you guys

What's the deal with ISO?

My understanding is that ISO is the rating for film which realates to the amount of exposure required, but how does it relate to digital cameras? I just bought a simple point and shoot camera and it has some ISO settings and a shutter speed display. So does that mean I can take better photos of moving objects by adjusting the ISO setting?

ISO is simply the level of sensitivity to light. So a higher ISO rating is more sensitive to light. Different materials for film produced this, and they simply set the sensor in the camera to take in more or less depending on the ISO setting. Of course the higher you go the more noise the shot pics up, so high ISOs are good for low light shooting where you can't open up the aperture any further to allow more light in but need more light without slowing the shot down too much, but will give you noisier shots the higher you go. Get it?

So it means you can set a higher iso and then use it with a higher shutter speed to capture action shots a bit better minus the blur. There will be a trade-off in picture quality though. What kind of camera did you get Mantas? Some handle noise better than others.

yeah back in the bad old days of film I used to use 200 for more choices in the shade. Man, those 400, 800 films were sooo expensive. The higher the number, the more light sensitive but the photochromatic coating was courser. So the results were grainier prints. Some shots really work with this effect.

The ISO number on the digital camera is the "equivalent" in light sensitivity of the film. The graininess equivalent is the noise now. Noise being the sensor's capability to process the signal in fidelity.

Compacts have small sensors compared to DSLRs, the noise would be greater in compacts because of the size and quality of the sensors. If you go to the D3, that is a full format sensor and the best yet from Nikon. The sample shots I've seen by he D3 at 3200 is just amazing. Very low noise and looked just like a normal (200) shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I've been encountering a few battery issues. Mid-winter I thought it was the cold but now that things aren't as cold I don't think so. Sometimes when I turn the camera to ON it tells me I have a low battery (flashing/can't take photos), even when the battery I know is full. Sometimes it is ok. Seems like it might be a connection problems. Anyone else had this? My camera is still under guarantee so I might get it looked at because it is quite annoying.

from wikipedia

Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently fully discharged and recharged ("deep-cycled") like Ni-Cd batteries, but this is necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any external electronic "fuel gauge" (e.g. State Of Charge meter). This prevents the fuel gauge from showing an incorrect battery charge.[14]