I went to about 10 shops today to get my filthy hands on a 24-70. Not one in sight. Every mother in town is buying Christmas prezzies for themselves.

But there were millions of 14-28s. If it's not flying off the shelves then it's not good enough fo me.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

a question for you Nikon lovers... someone wants to trade me a D70 with 28mm for a board. Whats a D70 worth and would any one be looking one? Likely at a really good price...I think. $350ish.. It would very easy for me to bring a camera over to sell rather than a board. If any one is interested please let me know.

Question that was bothering me that I wanted to ask about before I leave for Japan,

what type of temperatures do the video cameras people use at the ski resorts operate in?

I have a sony HD cam which dad said froze (stopped responding) in poland at about -5, and started working again when he had it back in the car, I dont know if it was just the video camera freaking out or because of the cold temperatures but the manual does say operating temp 0 to 40c, anyone else had simular problems?

Timmeh,

The problem is usually the batteries, not the camera. When batteries get cold they loose thier ability to output the proper voltage and the whole unit just stops dead at times with no warning. Back in the car, the battery probably warms up and is usuable again. For super cold conditions, I usually keep a battery in my glove or close to my body and switch it out when the other stops working. Another option is to get some kind of case or cover - it's usually the wind that chills it quickly.

Originally Posted By: ianbc
a question for you Nikon lovers... someone wants to trade me a D70 with 28mm for a board. Whats a D70 worth and would any one be looking one? Likely at a really good price...I think. $350ish.. It would very easy for me to bring a camera over to sell rather than a board. If any one is interested please let me know.

Ian, a d70 will go for about 250-300 bucks here in Japan, with the lens, maybe another 50 bucks?? I was offered 300 for mine from Kitamura camera here. But that depends on the condition.

Timmeh,

I think that hard drive video cameras stop operating above a certain altitude. AFAIK.

---------

also,

I have just been reading this thread. *coughs* And am considering buying a reasonably decent digital camera. I will probably get a compact mainly because of the smaller size for travelling.

Either a Canon S5 or a Olympus sp-550.

I will be using it for surfing and for travelling/snow shots.

The question i have is - what do i dump my photos off to when i am travelling? I am thinking of some portable hard drive with a usb connector so that i can dump the files from the sd card direct to the hard drive. Is that possible?

Will something like this work? - Seagate 100 GB Portable External Hard Drive ( ST9100801U2-RK )

or this: Western Digital 160GB 2.5-inch Passport USB Portable Hard Drive

There are media stations which are about 80gb but are much too expensive and big for what i want.

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
 Originally Posted By: ianbc

Ian, a d70 will go for about 250-300 bucks here in Japan, with the lens, maybe another 50 bucks?? I was offered 300 for mine from Kitamura camera here. But that depends on the condition.

BP that lens alone is starting at 16000yen on the auctions