Elements is a good program. I found it installed on my PC when I installed my HP printer. They bundled it.

Good batch processing options too.

So, Soubs, you got yourself a DSLR yet?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. When I bought my digicam (Canon Powershot S50) I deliberately chose a camera that will fit in a pocket. I miss the SLR, no doubt about that, but at the moment I can only afford one camera. I spent the money on some powder skis and Naxo bindings instead \:\)

What would be really nice would be a set of digital gubbins that would slot into my old Pentax.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
I spent the money on some powder skis and Naxo bindings instead \:\)

wrong venue i know, but are you getting set up to tour?

It's absolutely nuts what you can do with a DSLR. In the old days you shoot a whole damn roll and then develope to see the results of your experiments. Now, it's INSTANTANEOUS. Then you delete your mistakes.

I have now shot more frames in the month I've had my D200 than the years of my film SLRs.

Originally Posted By: daver
 Originally Posted By: soubriquet
I spent the money on some powder skis and Naxo bindings instead \:\)

wrong venue i know, but are you getting set up to tour?

Yes. Having turned 55 last week, I'm going after fresh snow.

Thursday. I have thousands of slides taken for my fieldwork. I'd love a DSLR, but teaching English to children in Oishida doesn't pay me much.

yeah Kuma, but not full format..... which may not matter to me anymore, but it's like buying a Brietling watch with the beacon. Never in your life would you want to activate the beacon, but nice to know you have it.

actually 1.4 is not better than the 1.8

go read what kenrockwell says about it. the 1.4 gives such a shallow dof that it's hard to get what you want in focus.

I have the 1.4 in manual focus.

Quote:
It's absolutely nuts what you can do with a DSLR. In the old days you shoot a whole damn roll and then develope to see the results of your experiments. Now, it's INSTANTANEOUS. Then you delete your mistakes.

I have just joined the club. I got back into taking shots with a digital camera and have decided to take the plunge with the Nikon D80. I'm like a little kid on Christmas morning playing around with it. Digital cameras have really brought the fun back for me.

Hey, anyone on here have or used an underwater digital camera? I'm looking at getting one for surfing and a bit of snorkelling. I'm looking at the Pentax W30, Or the Olympus someting-or-other ;\) Anyone know anything about them?

I'm also in the club of considering a digital SLR.

Someone else would at times be using it and as such I have a question. Online just now I read that "digital SLRs do not have automatic focus". Surely that is mistaken? Surely there is manual/automatic setting for focus? Tell me that's the case!

Getting in on the act:

Nikon D80 body + Nikon 18-200mm.

Sounds good?

I'm not too sure on whether a "normal" lens is needed in one of the kits that they sell or if it is just buying the body and the sexy lens.

sounds great miller. the 18-200 is better than the 18-70 or 18-135 kit lenses...but it's way more expensive. it's selling for 83000yen right now. Don't pay more than what's listed on kakaku.com for a d80....

or get a d200 for 128000! thumbsup.gif

Thanks. Where can I get the 200 for that price? It's 146800 on kakaku now.

Perhaps the best would be D200 body + "18-200" lens. Would that lens cover me for pretty much all occasions. I do a lot of landscape but would want to take more closeups as well. Basically I know the 18-200 is the best lens. I just want to know if I willreally need anything else.