YAY!

Welcome to winter!!

Thredbo is not officially open for snow riding (according to the reports) - are the other resorts?

They MUST be getting close now, with all the snow falls in the last few days!

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id say it was wind stashes - coz even with the big falls they are still talking 50cm - and that is not even knee deep is it? But if robbies been out riding and had snow leaking into the gap in his low-riding snow pants - then he has. I am a plane flight away so the webcam and snow reports is as close as Ive got. Jealous I am!

MB as you probably well know the Aussie idea of waist deep is generally not the same as what we think of here in Hokkaido razz

With over 20 years experience skiing in Aus I skied genuine hip deep only once. That too was at Buller in 1987 when they had over 1m in one night. Mansfield even received a few cm's of snow!

NIIIIICE pics!

envious of the snowy situation down under.

the rainy season started in western japan the other day, and it's poised to kick in in the tokyo area soon as well.. ouch!

You can't even begin to compare Japan to Australia obviously smile

Let me explain. When we ventured out off the trails in certain sections you would sink up to your waist with every step. The snow accumalates in these area's more than others thats true.

If it was waist deep on the runs then that would be something lol

robbied/GN - for sure Japow is JaPOW(and it keeps us coming back!) - but I have had some fantastic light and fluffy riding in Aus too.

Last July in Falls Creek we only saw blue sky one day and I had to learn to ride by feel as I could not see a single feature under board for DAYS. Bit scary for an old girl to start with, but sure improved my riding. As did riding the hard packed narrow runs in Zermatt - certainly did not enjoy them as much as the wide fresh snow covered runs in Niseko - but hey - it was much much better than a day doing laundry - and my control improved..

• 4 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Hotaka Scott
Any updates from the Southern Hemisphere? Or has the season finished already wink

Getting the gear ready as we speak smile
I shall be on a plane headed for Canberra/Thredbo on Saturday - shall report as it happens if I have a half decent internet connection, or upon my return if I dont.
Papa went there two weeks ago for a weekender with a mate - they got snapped by the Thredbo Roving Cam's on the chairlift (and I spotted it, he was most impressed I could tell it was him). He said there was early season cover at that point in time, so none of the top surface lifts were open, just the runs where supplemental snow making kept the condition good all day.
Since then it has seen a fair few big dumps (by Aussie standards) and looks like we are in for a decent holiday smile

Looks like there's a big system moving in later in the week that will bring a significant amount of rain to lower parts of the resorts with some wet snow up high. There is not much of a base currently so it aint looking good in Aus.

I can do you some pics from the weekend before last. Queenstown has had enough snow to get things started but some more would be appreciated. Parks are all looking good.

jared_3.jpg