If any of you guys/girls from the northern hemisphere want to come down south for a ski go to NZ not Australia.

NZ has much colder temps, many more mountains, bigger snowfalls and more/better powder.

If your a confident and competant driver, the best way to travel in NZ is by hiring a car. You can also catch buses but you lose a bit of flexibility.

All the accomodation is in the towns so you have to drive up to the mountain every day. The roads are pretty gnarly in some areas, if you take care you will be fine.

There are a few 'major' ski areas/towns in NZ:

Queenstown is the most popular with the best nightlife, shops etc.

It has easy access to 3 mountains - Coronet Peak, The Remarkables and Cadrona. They are all 30-60 minutes drive from Queenstown.

Wanaka is a town about 60 - 90 minutes drive from Queenstown and has easy access to Treble Cone, Cardona and Snow Park ski areas.

Treble Cone has most intermediate-advanced ski runs in the QT/Wanaka region and has the best powder too.

Mt Hutt is supposed to be a great ski area too. I've never been there but will next year. It has big snow falls and is a well developed resort. Accomodation/everything-else is in the nearby town of Methven which is 1 hour drive south-west of the city Christchurch. Methven to Mt Hutt is 30-40 minutes. Mt Hutt is 6 hours north from QT/Wanaka.

We will be in Queenstown and Wanaka mid August for 2 weeks.

The season here in Aus is also just about to kick off.

This year im committed to going up as many days as possible. I'll be uploading pics regularly.

If you have any more questions just ask.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay - so this weekend is OPENING weekend at Thredbo.

This is the webcam image from this evening....

screenshot.jpg

I have it on good authority, from a friend of Papa's who attends most opening weekends at Thredbo that it is usual for this to be the case, and quite often there is a big dump on Sunday.

Hope so.

Wont be much riding going on if it stays like this!!

By contrast - this is where one of my boys will be headed a day or so after we go to Thredbo - this is Cardrona (Wanaka, NZ).

screenshotcardrona.jpg

Looks a tad more promising doesnt it?

Ummm...that would be ...NO.

The cover was 'snowplay' (not rideable) all weekend - just 15cm at Thredbo according to the report.

However it is with great delight I report that the webcams have turned from brown to white and we are heading in the right direction for some actual skiable snow.

4 weeks 'til I am there.

Yeah, but from what I gather this is normal for Thredbo opening weekend (and by extension that would include Perisher as they are really not that far from each other.

They do however do some very intensive snowmaking at thier beginner area at Perisher - so there was a bit more in one small section there than at Thredbo. Saw quite a few kids with boards and on ski's giving it a go for the first time on the cams - cute really.

We've been getting excellent snowfalls here in Aus. Every mountain is pretty much ready to open.

We made it to Mt Buller yesterday and it didn't stop snowing all day. Waist deep off the trails. They had another 25cm's overnight so its looking very good.

Here as some pics of yesterday as promised:

img0821small.jpg

img0831small.jpg

img0848small.jpg

img0858small.jpg

img0862small.jpg

img0863small.jpg

img0864small.jpg

img0865small.jpg

img0867small.jpg

img0868small.jpg