• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

latest6zu.jpg

Mount Hutt has over half of meter of fresh today! Tomorrow will be epic! - lots of peeps in chch will having day off.

My parents on the Canterbury plains below Mt Hutt have 35 cm in their backyard! Winter has come to Canterbury!

Quote:
Originally posted by snowglider:
latest6zu.jpg

Mount Hutt has over half of meter of fresh today! Tomorrow will be epic! - lots of peeps in chch will having day off.
My parents on the Canterbury plains below Mt Hutt have 35 cm in their backyard! Winter has come to Canterbury!
I hope too many people didn't take the day off - the mountain was closed!
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

2009 season looks to be on track at Mt Hutt at least.

snow has arrived well ahead of schedule for opening. May 15 would be the equivalent of November 15 in Hakuba...and look at what they have got!

No staff to run the place and yet to do the avie control so they cant open it up!

E5EC08A7-1C22-435C-B0BC-05CB5EBDDFDF.jpg

NZ is looking good so far.

Everything here in Aus has almost melted or being washed away.

With no really strong cold weather systems anytime soon it looks like a month or so until we get a decent dump.

I have been fortunate.

Every trip I have taken to snow has been awesome.

One trip to Thredbo it was icy - but it was June - and there was cove top to bottom - it was just a bit like concrete - but it was awesome because it was my 2nd ever trip to the snow, my first ever in AUs and was a long weekend just me and my man.

Other than that I have visited Perisher, Thredbo (multiple times) and Falls Creek and had fabulous mixes of days with blue skies and fresh POW (usually not on the same day). For me - I am a Thredbo girl. It is the quaintness of the village - the standard of the food (in some places) - and the mountain that I love. The drive from Canberra is hollywood! GREAT roads, just a few hours, and hardly any chance of needing chains - none of that windy climb the snowy skinny roads thing that Falls has. As I approach the turn off to Thredbo all I can think about is getting out there and riding my favourite High Noon .... not sure what it is about High Noon .... but I feel like I have wings.

I have not yet expereinced NZ - my 2 older sons have, both been to Cardrona with High School - the 2nd one will be back there in July again. They love it, but compare it to Aus.

I live in wanaka, been very cold here!

got warm on saturday and rained up the ski fields around wanaka which killed the base but its very cold now! Heap of snow on the hills. snow forecasted for ski fields all week.

snow is meant to fall here tomorrow. snowed up the ski fields all day 2day and all last night and is meant to all tonight and tomorrow up untill friday.

Remarkables in Queenstown has about 1.2m on the upper mtn.

If anyone has any questions on wanaka or queenstown feel free to hit me up.

Peace.

A word of warning if you're thinking of heading to NZ from overseas. All NZ ski areas are above treeline and thus very exposed. It is not all that unusual for resorts to be closed for days at a time while a big weather system moves through. So if you're only there for a week it can get real frustrating. If you luck out with the weather though it can be pretty damned awesome.

Of the times I've been there, the top lifts were closed about 50% of the time. During the 08/09 season when ia was at Annupuri, the entire mountain shut down due to high winds - heck, even the buses and trains weren't running!

That's not typical, but it shows that the lifts do close on a fair number of occasions.

Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
Is the Aus or NZ scene worth checking out? I'm in the US and could see myself getting an itch to ride this summer.

As the saying goes, "If it itches, scratch it."

Would definately say to check it out. Went to NZ a few years ago for about a month. Rented a sleeper van for about $20 (USD) a day and drove around the Southern Island skiing about 3 days a week and doing a little sightseeing the other days. It's a bit "old school" (i.e. T-bars and nutcrackers) compared to what you may get in the US but that was half the fun. However, as GN and Ezorisu pointed out above, the weather can close things up for days at a time - heard Mt. Hutt once referred to as Mt. Shut.

the ski fields dont close all the time, they'll probably close about 4 times a season, if that!

and the odd day where the lifts will be closed for a couple hours due to wind, (mainly july)

NZ ski fields are different to northern hemi fields. you've got to drive up the mountain to get to the fields, the roads can be pretty dogdy! if your not a confident driver then get a bus or shuttle which is normaly about $20 return out of wanaka for wanaka ski fields and out of Queenstown for Queenstown ski fields. you get the good car parks if your on the buses, no walking for ages to get up to the lifts!

Late june through july is the time where the weather will be very unsettled. August would be the best time to travel over to NZ. early july is a bad time to come because of school holidays which pack the ski fields! huge lift lines everywhere! august is quite with good snow and normaly good weather. early september gets good snowfalls with good weather and uncrowded slopes.

the season is very short compared to northerm hemi. most fields Late june to early October. although this year Mt. Hutt is opening on the 30th may.

Warm front is due this week which might see a bit of snow meltage but end of this week another southerly is due and going to drop the off the sweet sweet powpow!