Quote:
Originally posted by daver:
well the deal is that you get a guarunteed vertical and afterwards you must pay for all subsequent rides up. these guys are pushing the rides up a lot, and get angry when the group they are in can't keep up and don't continue going up. you are right everybody pays a lot, and these guys do choose to be in the top group. i think that they get angry when people over judge their ability and put themselves in a group that they can't keep up with. but i am not a guide, i am just relying the venting sessions that my friends, who are guides, usually have when they have a chance.

as for your trip, rank yourself low. you will enjoy yourself better if you are at the front of the pack, rather than at the back. i would also look into snowcat opperations as well. they are usually a lot cheaper, and unless you have a perfect day, you will be in the exact same terrian as a heli opperation. heli trips actually rarely get above tree line.
any recommendations for these snowcat operations (never heard them before)?

thanks!!
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by incompetentboob:
A heli ski op in NZ that didn't make it past the tree line would be in trouble seeing as the tree line and the snowline are generally the same.
pardon my ignorance - but what is a "treeline," and a "snowline"...?

thanks!!
 Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
Going up the mountain, the treeline is where the trees stop, and the snowline is where the snow starts.
I was hoping somebody would answer this with a bit of a smart ass response
I couldn't think of anything at the time and still can't

Actually, I always thought that the treeline and snowline is what soubriquet said. But that would contradict what incompetentboob said about the two basically being the same. I thought that the snowline was much farther down than the treeline. Can someone shed some light on this?

My understanding Markie, is that the treeline is controlled by the climate, and the snowline by the weather.

I think what incompetentboob means is that in NZ, the skiable snow is found pretty much at and above the treeline. That fits with my memory of skiing at Mt Hutt, no trees, but I wasn't paying attention and may be wrong.

There is very little NZ skiing that is below the tree line. The main factor contributing to the snow is the height as opposed to generally cold weather - there will be a couple of days a year where there there is snow to sea level, but nothing like somewhere such as Japan.

Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:
Who else is goin down south this summer???? ;\) Anyone from SJ?
I'm hitting up the Remarks in early August also... maybe Cardrona too, if we end up getting a hire car.

There was frost on my car windshield this morning. In Brisbane!!! lol.gif

Getting excited.
 Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
My understanding Markie, is that the treeline is controlled by the climate, and the snowline by the weather.
If we're are really going to get into it I'd say treeline is more controlled by latitude

it certainly looks like NZ is well & truly ready for their official opening dates this season thumbsup.gif

from www.snow.co.nz

2412.jpg

It will be one of the best openings ever at Mt Hutt with snowmaking and natural falls creating excellent early season coverage. (23/05/06)

• 2 weeks later...

haha i'll ask my brother about how the quality and selection of cheese in nz compares to that of the french alps... where he also lived for 6 months (Tignes)............. and you know the answer will be GO TO FRANCE CHEESE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!! ;\)

The season opens here in OZ this weekend. The New South wales resorts have a little bit of snow and will probably have a couple of lifts open. The Victorian resorts have nothing yet. June is usually pretty bad for snow and the season peaks in August. We are also expecting some snow over the weekend. The King Island double Brie is a great Australian cheese. I hope the Cheesefamily have a chance to taste it one day.