What is the SAJ 3-Kyu? Is that the skiing to do nice turns at a certain speed etc type exercise?

Your deal sounds pretty reasonable and August should be a good time for snow.

I think for the heli-skiing you'd want to be a good intermediate level skier who's comfortable in powder. If not you could be wasting your money. If you can get down any on-piste slope with confidence and good control you'd be fine. I'm not a skier so take my advice for what it is.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw, what are the skill/level requirements for heli-skiing? ive just read about the beauty/wonders of powder skiing - and would just like to try it myself.

[/QB]

Strange someone in Japan going to NZ to ski powder. You guys have some of the best in the world. Have fun on your trip. \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ OZ:
Strange someone in Japan going to NZ to ski powder. You guys have some of the best in the world. Have fun on your trip. \:\)
thanks!!!

\:D

to answer your inquiry: well - i started only skiing last january... then really got into it by march, and i never had the chance to ski powder, especially in areas in hokkaido.

What is the SAJ 3-Kyu? Is that the skiing to do nice turns at a certain speed etc type exercise?

it is... you are supposed to be able to do parallel long turns, and parallel short turns in about low intermediate to medium intermeidate blue slopes with good control.

they are actually the local (japanese counterpart) of the ISIA (International Ski Instructors' Association) "International Test" skill certification for the Bronze/Semi-Silver Level, while the 2-Kyu is around the Semi-Silver Level/Silver Level.

note: SAJ = Ski Association of Japan (the largest governing body for skiing here in Japan)

Your deal sounds pretty reasonable and August should be a good time for snow.

GREAT!!!

I think for the heli-skiing you'd want to be a good intermediate level skier who's comfortable in powder. If not you could be wasting your money. If you can get down any on-piste slope with confidence and good control you'd be fine. I'm not a skier so take my advice for what it is.

for one, though i do lose a little "form" as the gradient angle increases; but as far as i know, i can safely get down any on-piste slope with good control. however, my only worry is that ive never skied in deep powder before.

Quote:
Originally posted by manuel_arg:
Here some NZ resorts websites:

Cardrona: http://www.cardrona.com/

Mt Hutt, Coronet Peak, The Remarkables: http://www.nzski.com/

Snow Park: http://www.snowparknz.com/

Treble Cone: http://www.treblecone.co.nz/
for my sched - i would be spending two days at Coronet Peak, and two days at The Remarkables.

and if i have the confidence - some heliskiing in Mt Harris.

NZ is good, if you get it thats is. Coronet Peak is awesome endle line to take, but only if you get a good dump before hand, it's also earned the name Concrete Peak, as it is pretty low & ices up quick. My pick of the Bunch it Treble Cone for sure, if you get some good snoe the terain is awesome, A bit more reliable than Coronet. But virtually no snow making or grooming, get tracked out easily.

All in all NZ is good, it adds a different aspect to riding with huge open terain enjoy...

Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:
Who else is goin down south this summer???? ;\) Anyone from SJ?
i would be in queenstown from the 25th of august until the 3rd of september. would mostly do the Remarkables, and Coronet Peak - and some heliskiing in Mt Harris...
 Quote:
Originally posted by WantToSki:
however, my only worry is that ive never skied in deep powder before.
i have several friends back in Canada that work as guides with a number of top opperations and they all inform me that every year they have novice skiers come for their first powder experience. the opperations are prepared for this, they will set you up with powder skiis, and they will give you basic instructions. it is the company's best interest to make sure you have a great time right? as long as you stay with a basic group you'll have a great time and won't feel rushed in anyway at all.
 Quote:
Originally posted by daver:
i have several friends back in Canada that work as guides with a number of top opperations and they all inform me that every year they have novice skiers come for their first powder experience. the opperations are prepared for this, they will set you up with powder skiis, and they will give you basic instructions. it is the company's best interest to make sure you have a great time right? as long as you stay with a basic group you'll have a great time and won't feel rushed in anyway at all.
If I ever get the chance to go heliskiing (doubtful) I'd be very upset if I had to wait around for somebody to learn how to ski powder. I really hope there is a beginners group if you go. Powder skiing is really easy once you learn but for some it takes a bit of time.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
If I ever get the chance to go heliskiing (doubtful) I'd be very upset if I had to wait around for somebody to learn how to ski powder.
yeah man it sounds like it can be super conpetative if you are in the advanced group. friends working in blue river have said that some guys push for 50,000 vert every day. and if they miss it due to somebody being a little slow they get mighty pissed. but these guys are paying to be in a group that will not slow them down, and they pay through the nose to do it, so you can understand why they would be a little pissed.
 Quote:
 Quote:
If I ever get the chance to go heliskiing (doubtful) I'd be very upset if I had to wait around for somebody to learn how to ski powder. I really hope there is a beginners group if you go. Powder skiing is really easy once you learn but for some it takes a bit of time.
so, how is it going to be then? to be able to learn powder skiing, one has to powder ski... but, if you have to powder ski, then you need to know it so as not to piss other people of...

hhhmmm... my worry is that, then, would be onto which group they would place me in, ie., i fill in some questionnaire (and i try to take the lowest "ranking") - and i still end up in the HELI2 (Strong Intermediate) and HELI3 (Low Advanced)!

i check with the heliski guides (through the internet), and they say that if one is to be skiing in late august - they recommend choosing "one" level higher since there is more "corn" than powder.

on the other hand, since i havent gone heliskiing before, i really wouldnt want to piss people off if im slow. but, i wouldnt also want to be on the lowest group either (NZ$520 for only two runs, compared to HELI2 which is at NZ$700-something for 4 runs)...

thoughts?
 Quote:
 Quote:
If I ever get the chance to go heliskiing (doubtful) I'd be very upset if I had to wait around for somebody to learn how to ski powder.
yeah man it sounds like it can be super conpetative if you are in the advanced group. friends working in blue river have said that some guys push for 50,000 vert every day. and if they miss it due to somebody being a little slow they get mighty pissed. but these guys are paying to be in a group that will not slow them down, and they pay through the nose to do it, so you can understand why they would be a little pissed.
hhhmmm... maybe they are not in a group that are par to their level then? i would suggest that they should choose to be in a group that is higher to begin with...

IMO, EVERYone who goes through heliskiing pays through their nose for it... and if some people does get pissed, so much so; wouldnt it better that they charter the entire copter? they cant expect everybody to be as good as they are, right? no matter how good one gets, there is always someone better than you...

*me taking the Devil's Advocated here*

well the deal is that you get a guarunteed vertical and afterwards you must pay for all subsequent rides up. these guys are pushing the rides up a lot, and get angry when the group they are in can't keep up and don't continue going up. you are right everybody pays a lot, and these guys do choose to be in the top group. i think that they get angry when people over judge their ability and put themselves in a group that they can't keep up with. but i am not a guide, i am just relying the venting sessions that my friends, who are guides, usually have when they have a chance.

as for your trip, rank yourself low. you will enjoy yourself better if you are at the front of the pack, rather than at the back. i would also look into snowcat opperations as well. they are usually a lot cheaper, and unless you have a perfect day, you will be in the exact same terrian as a heli opperation. heli trips actually rarely get above tree line.