• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In years of skiing in NZ I have never seen a ski field closed for longer than a day (in the south island where any self respecting ski tourist would go). Weather passes through here pretty quick (which is why we dont end up getting that much snow, it doesnt snow for long enough!)

That said I have not spent much time at Mt Hutt or surrounding areas which seem to be more wind affected that southern lakes area.

Originally Posted By: Hotaka Scott
^^^ Just to clarify Mr Jynxx - are you referring to the club ski fields? Not so sure how familiar people are with the club fields vs "regular" ski fields difference.

I'm not what is that?
Thanks.

FWIW club fields are small and privately owned, most have rope tow lifts that are tricky to use (you attach yourself to the rope by means of a harness and connector called a nutcracker)

they are ungroomed and have minimal facilities - many have lodges to stay in and thats about it.

Some of them are awesome - steep sick terrain.

nz skiing thread

heres a list of southisland club fields which are super sick! they have some amazing terrain to hike! the club fields are also known as mini alaskas.

Temple Basin

Craigeburn

broken River

Mt cheeseman

Porters

Mt olympus

Fox peak

Round Hill

Mt dobson

Ohau

They are all super sick fields with some epic hiking!! and have some dop as powpow.

some of the club fields you need to ring up and reserve a spot to get on. others you just rock up like a normal ski field.

If your going back country most the fields have a snow patroler who you have to sign out with and sign back in with.

I'm thinking of going on a trip to New Zealand for a week or 2 in late July till early August or at early September this year. Got couple questions for you guys

1) Any package deals in Tokyo to snowboard in New Zealand. I heard Queensland area is a good place to go. I don't see any travel agency here offers these type of packages.

2) Is there direct flight to Queensland from Tokyo?

3) Is it worth bringing my pow board during this time of year? (late July to early Aug or at early September) Don't want to carry an extra set of board and bindings if it's not going to be put in good use

I'm trying to save as much as I can. I maybe at Malaysia during early Aug and if it's cheaper to fly out from there to Queensland, please let me know.

Thanks

Ok so I will bite. I havent been skiing for over 12 months now and I cant stand it. My mate is flying from the UK to come skiing with me late August in NZ. Unfortunately, living in the most isolated city in the world does not allow me to fly direct to Christchurch. So I want to know:

There is always the Mount Hutt/Queenstown debate. Which is the better place to go for some pow a little back country? Not too fussed on the apres ski thing.

How far is Queenstown airport from the town and then the mountain? Seriously, for those that have been there, how much of a pain in the ass is the daily trip up the mountain?

I am leaning to NZ due to the snow quality, but open to suggestions in oz.

I know you cant predict the snow gods but as my mate is flying half way around the world, want to give us the best opp.

Thanks in advance (and yes I have read some of the previous threads)

Dean

You should be able to make the trip to either Chch or QT in 2 flights from Perth via sydney.

QT airport is about 10 mins drive to "downtown" QT but the airport is kind of in the built up area depending on where you stay it could be as little as 3 minutes to get there. Coronet Peak and the Remarkables are about 20 and 40 minutes from town respectively. How much of a pain in the arse that is depends on how you feel about being in a car for half an hour (with a one in ten chance of having to put chains on - that can be a pain in the arse, but it also means powder day!)

"...Mount Hutt/Queenstown debate. Which is the better place to go for some pow a little back country?"

answer is neither - the best place for backcountry is club fields in Canterbury.

Coronet Peak has little scope for BC (that I know of) Remarkables has quite a few options for BC and I dont know for sure about Mt Hutt (heard there wasn't much but the source was not reliable.)

Hope that helps

(Mt Hutt opens this weekend and Coronet Peak the weekend after.. Cant wait!!)

Sorry for the slight thread drift but...

If anyone does get in some turns in NZ, AUS, SA, etc this summer could you please put up a few pics to help the rest of us get through till the white stuff start falling again. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated!

I was thinking, we are all nuts! People travelling half way round the world to chuck themselves down steep cold hillsides in the middle of winter!!!!

Wouldnt have it any other way!

Originally Posted By: Dean
I was thinking, we are all nuts! People travelling half way round the world to chuck themselves down steep cold hillsides in the middle of winter!!!!

Heretic! grandpa

If anyone does get in some turns in NZ, AUS, SA, etc this summer could you please put up a few pics to help the rest of us get through till the white stuff start falling again. Thanks in advance.

Shall do!
Got fingers, toes and eyes crossed that some white stuff starts to fall in Aus soon!!
^^^ Cheers!

And did you notice I spelt "pics" right this time? (as opposed to "picts")

I could probably dig out some good photos of Picts!! lol

I just booked 2 weeks in NZ for mid July. Stoooooocked. dance

It's been 8 years since I've been on the white stuff over there.

I can vouch for some of those club fields that someone posted earlier.

Steep, deep and cheap........

Great news Mantas!

Pic's please....my boy will be in QT 12-19th of July, but even hell itself will be boardable if that child brings me home some photo's - LOL