what do you guys do during off season?

do some of you do inline skates, etc? or, how about indoor ski resorts (ive searched, and it seems they all close at the same time as the real resorts)?

any advice/recommendations that you can give?

run, rollerblade, swim, ulitmate frisbee, mtn bike - all are really good. Personally, I find swimming the best form of exercise for me but thats because Ive run my knees into the ground as well \:\(

whatever you do, start out slow and easy. Listen to your body, if it hurts, stop.

now if I could only get back into a good training program again \:o

don't worry about losing technique over the summer. you won't. ok, you will be a little rusty come next november but that will pass. the speed in which it passes entirely depends on your fitness however. like everybody says, be active. i have always liked to train for mountains in the mountains. ie, hiking, trail running, climbing. but if you live in the city a gym pass will do. SURF. but then again you must be fit to even attempt doing that. just stay fit, you don't need to worry about specifics yet.

enjoy the warm season!

Quote:
Originally posted by daver:
don't worry about losing technique over the summer. you won't. ok, you will be a little rusty come next november but that will pass. the speed in which it passes entirely depends on your fitness however. like everybody says, be active. i have always liked to train for mountains in the mountains. ie, hiking, trail running, climbing. but if you live in the city a gym pass will do. SURF. but then again you must be fit to even attempt doing that. just stay fit, you don't need to worry about specifics yet.
enjoy the warm season!
yeah - i guess im worried about that, losing technique...

i started just this season, and there has been so much ive learned that i just dont want to start from zero again next season.

i was doing some exploring, and they say that inline skates can be good off-season training. however, there have been those that say that inline skates dont really give the "feel of skis" (ie., edging, etc.) that it doesnt really matter if you do them or not...

what do you guys think? can inline skates really help at least maintain your form?

i don't think so. especially given that you are still a novice skier. you aren't going to get on the world cup tour so relax. any thing that loose will come back really fast.

when i was doing my CSIA level 3 many years ago an examiner brought up a point regarding the way in which your body and mind processes muscle memory that i think is actually quite true:

"we learn to ski in the summer and we learn to golf in the winter".

he gave references to studies that backed up this claim but i forget them so i won't try.

regardless, don't worry, stay active, and enjoy the off season.

• 3 weeks later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by its-a-clock:
Used to Creek Boy but not for a long time before I came here. I enjoyed it. Not sure if I want to take it up again though.
why is that? What dont you like about it?

Ive really been enjoying doing Yoga recently.. stretch for an hour almost daily and have been running 8K-10K 4-5 days/week for several weeks now.

The fluidity and low-impact aspects of taichi, similar to Yoga, are appealing to me.
 Quote:
Originally posted by daver:
i don't think so. especially given that you are still a novice skier. you aren't going to get on the world cup tour so relax. any thing that loose will come back really fast.
when i was doing my CSIA level 3 many years ago an examiner brought up a point regarding the way in which your body and mind processes muscle memory that i think is actually quite true:
"we learn to ski in the summer and we learn to golf in the winter".
he gave references to studies that backed up this claim but i forget them so i won't try.
regardless, don't worry, stay active, and enjoy the off season.
thumbsup.gif

skateboard. wicked fun, brilliant for keeping your board control. my first day on a snowboard each season no longer feels odd now that i skate in the off-season. concrete slams do fecking hurt though.

other than that, there is so much good hiking to be done in japan, camping, playing footy and drinking cold ales with mates.

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
and have been running 8K-10K 4-5 days/week for several weeks now.
I thought your knees pretty much gave up on that kind intensity of running? I thought you would have migrated more to the bike to extend the life of them?

I cant find a bike that I want for a decent price here. You know a few peeps maybe you could ask them when youre on a ride with em mate ;\)

Back in the states Ive got 4 racing bikes. If I buy a bike here Id get shite components on a semi-decent frame. Back home, I could get a sick bike for the same price. Just not gonna invest that much here.

I ran 45 mins yesterday and knees feel good today. Waiting for my schools pool to open to start jumping in there daily. Nice having an 8 lane pool to yourself gettin sun rays. Wish theyd put a retractable roof on it so we could swim year round and open it up in the summer.

Stretched for an 1.5 last night and that seems to be the best thing for me. Yoga is da bomb cool.gif