2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a once off 'booster' season.

Of more concern to me is the amount of flying and driving I have done. It is offensive as fossil energy is a scarce resource and also a environmentally destructive resource when consumed.

On top of 3.5 hours of retuen flight time, I would easily drive between 600 and 1300km every weekend. A small weekend might only be 400km. In Portugal I did 2500km... looking for waves. Crazy.

I think snow types and surfers all claim to be environmentally aware, but we generally are not. Surfers are the worst offenders They drive constantly between beaches looking for waves.

One of these days I will find a region to stay still in and enjoy those things that are within that region. Kind of like settling in Hakuba and making do with what it offers (which is a lot).

The money we spend getting snow is trivial relative to the future resources (energy and environment) that we 'spend'.

I am a big consumer of these future resources, but is weighs heavily on my mind. No doubt I will do the same next season. Admitting guilty feelings doesn't exonerate.

yep, from London. I left work for Stanstead at 4.15pm of Friday and walked back into my Ldn apt again at 1am Monday morning. They were very full weekends. My Sunday night flight didn't even take off until 9pm local time. It helped living and working less than a few minutes walk from Liverpool Street. That made the work-stanstead-home commute very easy.

I also worked out a scam on the Stanstead Express:

1. buy a carnet 10 pack, they are good in any direction for 1 year. The bulk price works out at 10 quid per ticket rather than 15 quid.

2. Over the year, sell them to your mates in the office at 15 quid, or 10 if you are nice. It saves them the hassle of lining up in rush hour to buy a ticket.

3. keep a few tickets for yourself. 4 should be plenty

4. on the train the conductor almost always stamps your ticket with a purple stamp and then hands it back to you.

5. when they give it back, wipe the stamp off when the ink is still wet. You want get it all off. The ink that remains can carefully but easily be removed with a bit of spit on your finger. Just don't rub too hard.

6. use this ticket over and over again, using spit to clean it every time it is stamped.

7. try and avoid conductors that use a pen or hole punch to mark the ticket.

I bought a canet pack of 10 for 100quid, sold 4 at 60quid leaving me 40quid out of pocket. I caught the stanstead express about 45 times and still have 3 recycled tickets left in my wallet. That works out at 40 quid for 45 rides and tickets left over.