Apologies if this has already been discussed in a forum elsewhere (I've searched, but no joy), I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for a monolingual ski bum seeking work near a Japanese resort next winter.

Currently I'm commuting to Hakuba every weekend by bus/train/bicycle from Saitama Prefecture, and as much as I love my white weekends, the 14-hour round-trip commute is draining my budget and patience. Next winter I'm dead keen to work at or near a resort, doing English teaching/bar work/cleaning/whatever, but my Japanese is at a painfully basic level. I've seen plenty of foreigners working around Hakuba, but their Japanese is pretty good.

Is there any hope for a monolingual?

Cheers

Caroline

you could start going to japanese lessons now and have some better japanese for next season.

On my first trip to japan with almost 0 japanese (but desperately trying to learn) I worked in Niseko at the dog sled / snow rafting thing they have there. Also teaching people from Hong Kong to ski (that was before there were many aussies there) now it prob even easier.

Thanks for the advice!

I already speak some Japanese but not a huge amount, now's the time to turn that into "nihongo dekiru" before winter. I'll check out Niseko too.

Fattwins, why do you ask how I am on the hill? (I'm an advanced rider, by the way.) That job in Matsumoto sounds awesome but I'm already contracted for my current job for another month or so...

Most of the jobs in resort towns have crap wages that will also "drain your budget", but if you don't mind that, it shouldn't be too hard to find something.

Be sure to establish how much time off you get in advance. Some people get very little.

Look into pensions in the area as well. Those catering to int'l travellers often hire non-Japanese staff.

Anyway you slice it, you're going to make the most $ to support your habit(s) teaching english. Check out .coms like gaijinpot and jobsinjapan that list english teacher jobs.