Hi guys,

Apologies if this topic has been discussed before. I'm living in Saitama prefecture, had a great day at Hakuba Goryo yesterday. I'm starting to get the boarding bug pretty bad, and am pretty keen to get another weekend in before calling it quits. What do you think is the best spot to go this time of the season? I'm looking for somewhere that is accessible from Tokyo, preferably by night bus cos I'm poor \:\)

If it helps, I'm probably a low intermediate snowboarder, but working on improving! I've only really been practising on piste riding, no park stuff yet (maybe that would be a good option for this time of year?). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Danny

Hi Danny,

From Saitama, I still reckon Hakuba 47's the best. Keio Highway Bus and Rakuten do overnight bus services to Hakuba, and there are some pretty cheap lodges out there (K's House Hakuba Alps is my favourite).

I'm from Saitama too and as keen as I am to explore different ski fields, I keep on coming back to Hakuba...

Cheers

Caroline

for your info - tokyo to goryu/gala is around 9,000 yen for higaeri (one-day trip) via JR Shinkansen... and as i would remember, either they include rentals with it, or you get a 20% discount. and yes, this definitely includes the lift tickets!

be carefull around this time of year nozawa closes on some mid week days. also I dont find that nozawa offers a good mix of terrain at this time of the year. best terrain at this time of the year is at happo, 47/goryu with good park or closer to you kagura.

If you go to a Byuu Plaza located at most major JR stations, you can pick up a Haru ski special leaflet.

You can also view the leaflet here:

http://www.travel.eki-net.com/jrsnow2006_spring/index.asp

Golden week proves to be more expensive. If you plan on boarding after golden week, it looks like your cheapest option for a day trip would be kagura (7800 yen from May 8-28).

Yeah, Kagura was still winter. Patrol needed to remove snow under the lift on the weekend.

WTS, I'm sure that you'll have a good weekend! I may go there on the 22nd and 23rd again. That lift on the very top of the Kagura was open on Saturday but closed on Sunday because of the wind.