Hi! wave.gif

I'm new here and new to Japan as well. Based in Nagoya and already looking forward to my first winter here next season.

I've never skied or snowboarded and still wondering which one to take up - I'd love to try both. (Perhaps thats the best thing, try both?)

I'm wondering which is more difficult to learn and why? Skiing or snowboarding?

Sorry for the newby questions!

If you either skateboard or surf, try snowboarding. Turning isn't really the same, but balancing is similar, so it might be easier. If not, either is probably as easy (or difficult, as the case may be).

I guess it might also depend on which sport your immediate peer group does. If all your friends or co-workers there ski, then you might be able to borrow some equipment or get some instruction.

You've got a lot of time until next season to make connections, so get to work! \:\)

There are much debate about the why. I would say snowboarders have disadvantage in climbing phase, at this point. Snowshoes are no good sometimes at traversing on steeper icy terrains. Crampons has been still limited for snowboad boots. When I stayed at a Canadian mountain hut, the guide told he accepted split snowboards, but did not welcome cos the climbing speed is slower. I know snowboarding may compete to AT/tele skiing in mountain climbing when snowboard gears are improved.

Snowboading might be better in descending phase. It is no problem to enjoy backcountry snowboarding when getting snowcat or heli lifting services.

Yeah, try both...

BUT

Amongst the few people that I know I can think of about 8 that used to ski and then tried snowboarding and haven't touched ski's since - they all use the word "fun". I don't know anyone and have never heard of anyone that has gone the other way... although there are a few people around that do like the option of doing both.

One thing that I wonder about is how old you can be and still maintain on a board... not trying to say you can't ride after 50, but it seems to come with large risks, while 60 year old skiing seems reasonable.... dunno, with skis you can fairly easily spend the whole day standing, but on a board there seems to be some mandatory ass-time everyday, major wipe-outs aside... what I'm trying to say is maybe get up to speed on a board while you can and save the skiis for your ..er.. retirement. My only regret with snowboarding is that I started so late!

I know a local guy in his late 50s who boards. He and his girlfriend enter competitions, but I don't know what type.

I'd be interested in trying boarding, but it's too late for me. I can handle landing on my back, but my knees wouldn't hold out against the twisting loads. I'm too stiff.

I find it easy to stand on a pair of skis, and plan to be doing so for at least another 20 years.

I have some real genki friends in their late 60s who whizz down the slopes. In the summer one also travels the world and climbs some serious mountains. Amazing people, I really respect them and their lifestyle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I learned skiing when I was younger but after a break for a long time took up snowboarding about 6 years ago. This might just be me starting boarding after skiing, but I'd say skiing was the more difficult to take up. i wouldn't mind getting back on some skis again next season.

I reckon the two sports have very different progression curves. The first day or two of skiing is unquestionably easier than the corresponding days for snowboarding.

For people who aren't keen on flinging themselves down the mountain (they actually exist believe it or not) skiing offers a more sedate way of enjoying the snow once they get past the snow plow (if that’s how they were taught). Skiing gentle slopes places very little stress on the body – basically if you can stand up, you can ski. After a few days and assuming you’re the type of person who doesn’t mind rag-dolling down the mountain then snowboarders generally show a faster rate of development than skiers with similar attitudes – it’s quite difficult for most people to progress beyond the general intermediate range on skis. Terrain and snow type also plays a part by favoring the different strengths of the sports. Intermediate boarder/good skier for powder – good boarder/intermediate skier for bumps and rough groomers.

That surprises me actually Rag-Doll - I would have guessed that boarding was easier to take up than skiing. Skiing always looks more difficult because of the 2 planks and those sticks, while boarding looks like that one where you just "stand up".

Obviously I don't know as I've never tried..... \:\)

That's a very nice analysis, Rag-Doll. I could ski any groomed slope on the mountain by the end of my first week, without much style, but mostly on my feet. Snowboarders seem to spend a lot of time lying in the snow than I ever did.

I guess it depends on your background, excited. If you've grown up skateboarding and/or surfing, then a sideways stance may seem more natural. I find being able to move my feet independently makes it easier for me to balance. I never had any problem co-ordinating the poles, and using poles is an integral part of turning.

Excited - my wife doesn't go for the whole body experience that snowboarding offers and so she skis. She has fallen over perhaps 5 times in about 20 days of skiing. Have you ever been on one of those rubber moving walk ways that they have at airports? I reckon they produce a similar feeling to skiing bunny slopes – not all that physically demanding. Obviously everyone is going to have a different background and learning experience. I’m quite happy to take some chances and cart wheel down the mountain if I stuff it up and still found it difficult to get past the intermediate level on skis – maybe a few more lessons might have helped! Boarding on the other hand with even fewer lessons was hard at first and produced more broken ribs than skiing ever did (I don’t have a skateboard/surfing background), but it wasn’t long before I was cruising through terrain that I would have avoided on skis.

Perhaps the final comment is that if you’re a beginner boarder you may find that when you start getting into the deeper snow and trees you’ll leave your skier mates behind unless they're at a pretty decent level.

I agree with what you're saying RagDoll.

I grew up with skiing rather than boarding and found it took quite a while to progress.

Once you're good at one, I think you can pick the other one up fairly quickly. Well thats what I found with boarding anyway.

• 1 month later...

i found SB very frustrating on my first week, and I almost gave up and went back to Skiing (which i seemed to be able to do better on my 1st day than boarding after a week!).

Im v glad i stuck with the boarding though, i definately prefer it in all conditions (except icy groomers)

ultimately though its like asking if u prefer missionary or doggie......at the end of the day, theyre both a helluva lot of fun.

thats my 2c

I am a good surfer of decades and used to pull 360's in a half pipe on an old shitty Reflex skateboard yet I still think snowboarding is much harder than skiing for the first 20 days or so, and amazingly harder for the first 3 days. On the other hand, the entry phase into skiing is a cake walk, really easy and less painful. Beginner skiing is only slightly harder than walking. Assuming that you are a normal fit person, if you can't ski like a low intermediate after a week or so then there is seriously something wrong with your motor skills. But that is where the easy road ends.

Although hard and awkward to start with, once acquainted with a snowboard you will progress very quickly. If you ride to improve (ie, concentrate on your errors and correct them, aiming at constant improvement) then you will get good fast. I made good progress in snowboarding, and even though the first season of skiing is much easier, to reach the same level of skiing confidence and aggression on difficult off piste terrain would take me several more seasons (but I am out to disprove that statement ;\) )

A tangled explanation re-phrased in one line:

The learning curves cross: snobo is exponential, skiing is logarithmic. Like what Rag-Doll said:

>> I reckon the two sports have very different progression curves. The first day or two of skiing is unquestionably easier than the >>corresponding days for snowboarding.

Have fun what ever you choose.

ps - Also keep in mind that a lot of people who think snowboarding is all round easy aren't really snowboarding in the same sense that a comparable skier is skiing. A rude call, but lots of snowboarders just skid, slide and scrap. Each season they skid, slide and scrape faster than the last.... and they confuse this with easy progression.