• No, don't need

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:

kind of sad now... \:\(
dont be sad slow, get your "felt" out and go for a ride.
I went for a great 3 hour trail ride on Sunday, I wasn't sad at, it was fantastic to blast down the trails again, slopes with or without snow are equally satisfying.
Futsal season has cranked up, its all good.
Enjoy whatever the season has to offer, winter is going to roll around once more and I guarantee there will be snow.

cool1.gif

Season is still not over. Yesterday I camped and hiked from the top of a Swiss pass that just opened (oberalp). It was a fantastic day. Me, my girlfriend and dog hiked to a col at a leisurely 2600m and then rode perfect corn with 6 inches of damp fresh snow on top. It was an altitude record for the dog as well. He had a blast running down the line with us as we rode. It was a fantastic day. Back in Chamonix today for another week, hoping to pick of two more committed couloir descents in the area. Also going to do a bit of skiing and have a crack at paragliding. Then, I think it is over for me as I am heading down to Portugal for 3 weeks of exploring their coastline and surfing. But when I return some more high alpine passes will have opened, allowing car access to 2500m and good corn hiking and riding up to 3500m.

I am a little ashamed of my gloating ;\)

I can't believe it is May and I am still tuning and waxing my boards (I'm in the middle of it right now)

ahh, Big Will, poor my old jacket, it never got washed. I bought a new one.

Beanie - I can't believe that you don't wax and tune your tools. After a successful trip away it is great to give them a good tune and wax over a beer; tightening screws, adjusting the binding settings, sharpening edges, feeling stoked about the things you achieved together and also mentally and physically preparing yourself and your board for the tests you are going to undertake the next day. It is an important part of the process. This isn't some recreational pass time, its a mission [/pretentious answer]

That's not gloating, that's just having fun!

My season ended a long time ago, but I'm doing lots of wonderful things at the moment so I'm having too much fun to feel sad anymore.

It is fun, Sunshine. Its bloody good fun and there isn't enough time for it these days so I'm getting into it whilst I can. Still plenty of snow around here above 3000m. Looking out my window right now (I'm in Argentiere, just up the valley from Chamonix) I can see Mont Blanc as full of snow as it has ever been and the resort across the road (Grand Montets) still has lifts running for another 2 weeks.

For those who will excuse me all this big talk....I just met up to discuss our plans for the day and we have decided that tomorrow we (guide + myself) will repeat the first third of my Mont Blanc climb. After the ascent we will ride from 4200m down to 3500m on some really good steep but crevassed terrain that currently has about 30cm of powder on it! After that, if the sun has been shining enough to soften the surface layer, we will descend the next 800m of vertical via a 45-50 degree couloir. Another big day out. \:\)

34 this year, no wife, no kids, no mortgage. Many would say I am not spending my life so wisely ;\)

I am happy though. I wish it were my full life, but alas I wasted most of my mid to late 20's and early 30's but and now have a totally unanticipated fantastic 2 months on my hands. I'm busy making up for a lot of lost time. Actually, the last 7 months have been the best in my life.

That's my point, spud. You can earn money any time, but you won't always be fit and strong enough for winter mountaineering. I am glad you are making use of the opportunities of Europe.

It never started for me, I have been settling in to my new place in Osaka. I am looking forward to the winter to enjoy the snow. The first time I ever saw snow was in Korea before I came to Japan so it's a real novelty for me \:\)