If I remember a few people on here had been (or are even based) in snowy-type places other than Japan. Remind me who you are and where you are will you - season been good?

Quote:
Originally posted by schinken:
It's been a very good season here in Austria. But concerning powder days, Japan wins.
Schinken - where are you at? I realize I'm not a popular guy around here, but I'm actually very easy to get along with and I can ski pretty well \:\)

I can't wait to visit Austria and ski!!!!
 Quote:
Originally posted by veronica:
Plucky you get way more snow than Japan? That must be quite a lot! I'd be interested to know more. (Sorry if you've gone through that elsewhere).
It all depends where you are. I'm 50 miles south of Fairbanks and we only have 6 inches on the ground. If I ride 20 miles upriver, we're talking 5 feet of snow! I skiied 2 feet of freshies last week at skiland. Had a blast! It's been a cruddy year too. My buddy who lives in the AK Range had over 30 feet of snow by early March. It's subjective.

Here's a pic of Skiland - the farthest north chairlift in the world \:\)

Lodge_and_Sun.jpg
 Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:

Here's a pic of Skiland - the farthest north chairlift in the world \:\)
I don't know where Skiland is but I can find Fairbanks on the map. Comparing that to Riksgransen and Narvik (both well within the artic circle) I am sure Skiland doesn't have the most northern chairlift.

And I don't think both named resorts have this either.

Just back from 3 weeks in London. Was thinking of maybe going back home to Serre Chevalier or La Grave for a quicky over the 1st w/end when I was there but gave up in the end for logistical reasons... Maybe next year.

Yep never a good sign, conditions were not great and quite dangerous this year in many parts of Europe. Latest casualty at La Grave is a german snowboarder who killed himself on the 23rd of march. Will post more info on the avalanche section of this site along with some stats for the season.

Oregon's snow condition been great this season, still going strong, till April 30th, when the resort closed. One week at Whistler on new years, which the snow was great also. Then a week in hakuba, which was nice, but hurt my leg:(. Then another week for summer boarding in Whistler in another week and half..so

Just waiting for our season to start here in Australia. Nothing compared to Japan but enough to have a bit of fun. We had a dusting up on the mountains over the weekend but the season only kicks into gear around July. 2 weeks in Hakuba in January and already planning for next year.

• 2 weeks later...
 Quote:
Just waiting for our season to start here in Australia.
Thats mad! I wish we had cold weather from July-September. (And in winter as well)