I was taking a walk near where I live on a country road, there's still about 1-1.5 meters of snow on the rice fields. Except one. Well, half of one. For some reason, there's no snow on about half of one of the rice fields. It looks really strange and I can't work out why just that part has melted. I'll have to take a photo.

Any ideas?

Hummm maybe some gas or high temperture comes out?

#1.Muikabochi, are there some Zazensou

zazensou03.jpg

there? They run a temperture and melt snow by themselves. But not whole winter.....

#2. How about kun-tan (smoked rice shell ) ?

That's pretty much what I saw yesterday when I was out, some fields with open patches. My guess is that that relatively warm canal water is leaking in. Once a hole has opened, sunlight is warming the water, and which then conducts the heat under the snow pack. Pure speculation.

I think what you have here is a clear example of the ever increasing problem of - Snow Theft.

In the darkest hours of the night they come with their loaders and trucks, select only the best prime bits, cut it like cake and they're gone.

Rumour has it that some of the resorts out west here are involved in a dramatic attempt to stretch the season with some high quality pack.

Personally I think they're selling it on the black market as bottled miracle snow-aqua.

lol.gif

In Aus I have seen fields on a cold night when steam is rising from only certain sections of the ground. Very eerie. I was told by the local farmers that there are concentrations of minerals/chemicals which produce gases/steam more than normal. Probably very much like peat bogs?? Anyway, maybe farmers have used a certain fertilizer or chemical in the fields in question that are having the same effect.

Partner reports that clearing snow from her carpark cost Y 270,000 last winter. 70K was for 1 day's trucking and dumping in the river.

You're right about the peat bog, Bushpig. With the soils saturated like that, there will be anaerobic decomposition, sulphate reduction and fermentation going on. The products will include methane, H2S and CO2. I think the localised melting most likely to result from being heated by groundwater, or canal water leaking in.

200,000 is for the loader to come after every fall, and push it into the snow storage area. We were overwhelmed though, and had to have two half-days getting it dumped. The clear area of carpark is about 200m2. Her factory roof is about 300m2, and we must have put in about 2 hours per day for a month to keep that clear. We were going uphill from the roof to the snow pile.

That's a rather bizarre phenomenon.

muikabochi, you should make it your assignment to find the farmer in question and ask them what is going on with their field (finding a farmer in Japan can be almost as hard as finding a policeman). Farmers are used to being asked daft questions by strangers and ignoramuses - it happens all the time on Japanese TV.

I showed those pix to a knowledgable friend last night and he thought all of the above was possible - but the likely cause was Snow Lines.

Like the ubiquitous Crop Circles of England and elsewhere, there has been an emergence of Snow Lines in various places across the planet. It is believed that they are caused by oblong shaped space craft (as opposed to the saucer variety responsinle for crop circles).

He suggested a few confirming checks:

1 - the presence of a waxy, sooty substance in the mud - low-tech craft after burner residue

2 - your watch spins wildly when standing in the middle of such spaces - hi-tech ionization refracting craft

3 - your voice turns gravelly - means they are amogst us

4 - go to any local cobini or such and look for Tom Cruise / John Travolta look alikes speaking deeply such expressions as

My - name - is - Mr - Jones.

I - like - icecream.

One - bowl - of - ramen - hold - the - egg.

Approach with caution.

Good Luck.

Amazed that there is still so much snow around. The photos you have don't look like it is has been done like that by a farmer. Tell us what you find out.