I dont really think its about high quality/ low quality. The fact is Japanese people buy cool new shit and then use it a few times and then ditch it through the second hand shops or yahoo. Its about buying new, or buying second hand....

shit, I dont mind as long as it does the job.

Me too. There seems to have been a real aversion to 2nd hand things until recently, then again theres all those used goods shops that seem to have appeared in recent years.

Maybe the proliferation of Yahoo Auctions had something in the acceptance of second hand goods. I hear the demand for new stuff is pretty similar in other East Asian countries like Korea and China too.

Oh, and apparently brand name goods (like bags and suits) are usually higher quality than their generic counterparts. But I'm still cheap \:D

Beginners with the best outerwear and boots money can buy....why not?

Boards I would say are a different matter and its important that its suitable, if it happens to have a high grade sintered base and good technology then great!

My first set up was all hand me down gear off my partner (clothing wise) and rental gear. The only thing i really splurged on after a few seasons was boots & bindings and in saying that my boots are a fare few seasons old now, but their that comfy that i'd never get rid of them... For me it was just what ever i was comfy in. I guess it's each to their own.

The stuff I started riding in was all most unsuitable. My first board was far too short as well, which didn't help with stability at all. People stared in disbelief at my red waterproofs. Not surprising really.

what annoys me about equiptment is not that beginers have the latest equipment but when beginers are charged money to rent bad equiptment. It is much more prevalent here in Japan than anywhere else I have been to.

Here in Japan people who are unaware are ripped off as they pay money for rental skis and boots that should have been thrown out years ago, it's dangerous and just ethically wrong to rent out 15+ year old equiptment

Yes, I agree. Very wrong to rent out dangerous equipment but getting back to the main point. A true beginner doesn't know what is bad or good equipment so if they rent out some gear, stand up and have a good day then they'll be happy(and sore) regardless of what they've ridden on.

Quote:
Originally posted by sunrise:
I don't know about the look, but I'd say it's definitely easier to learn on good equipment as opposed to crap stuff.
well, when i was learning to drive decades ago - my driving instructor told me that it is actually advisable to learn how to drive using NEW cars, rather those 2nd-hand ones with lots of glitches - something requiring you to perform uneccesary "magic" to compensate thus making you used to "bad form"

imho...
 Quote:
Originally posted by kkk:
Does anyone know any there any standards that rental places have to keep to with their gear?
i really dont know - i went with a friend to kita-shiga-kogen, and he opted to have everything rented (he didnt want to bring his gear)...

and lo!?! he got a ski suit that smells so bad as if it hadnt been laundered in years!!!