Everyone has gotta start somewhere and thats fine, we've all been there but one thing about beginners that I don't understand is why so many of them go out and buy the top of the line board, bindings, boots etc! There's nothing I hate seeing more than someone who can hardly stand up decked out with the latest, top of the line gear. I just think it's such a waste. When I started I bought the cheapest board and binding set I could find, used it for a few years, got better at riding and then bought the good stuff. Riding then took on a new dimension with quality equipment. Just had to get that off my chest after riding a few weeks back and seeing so many beginners with really expensive equipment.

I don't hate seeing it. It makes me laugh really. It's new people like this that help the industry stay afloat.

This is summer skiing up in Tateyama. Late July I think. Kids decked out in the best of the best racing equipment. Even downhill suits. But they couldn't ski for crap and were falling all over th place on this short and flat slalom course.

toque_162.jpg

Yeah if they do it with the idea that they will grow into it then its not a bad idea. I know I liked my first mid level skis but I grew out of them so fast. In one season I was on better skis and thats more expensive then buying good gear.

Its eaiser to learn with beginer equipment. It takes a lot more energy to turn a race ski over a beginer ski. Usally beginers dont generate the energy need to properly turn a race ski. So there making it harder then they need too.

Quote:
Even downhill suits. But they couldn't ski for crap and were falling all over th place on this short and flat slalom course.
Coolio....all that stuff will be in Hard Off Sports maybe this year. lol.gif

I don't begrudge a beginner owning the best possible boot for his foot that he can afford. In fact, I recommend that beginners get the best boot they can. The rest of the set up is not important so long as it is safe (bindings). I also don't begrudge a beginner the right to be comfortable and dry, but plenty of last seasons mid range gear will fill that requirement.

Best possible boot does not imply 'highest performance' boot. It is a mistake if that is what they are going for.

I think it depends, my first snowboard setup was all flagship stuff by Salomon, cause my friend work there. Sold all the gear after one season, then got all Atomic flagship gear, cause my company I worked for gets proform deals, so everything at cost or roughly 50% off retail for new gear. Then this season when all out with Burton gear. I brought all high end gear for my first time/season, cause its cheaper then buying retail crappy stuff. \:\)

my first pair of snowboard boots were the nastiest looking airwalks and because of their lack of support I injured my ankle worse than I would have had with proper boots. but hell, good boots are really expensive. When I was just starting spending 3man on boots just seemed nuts. Now I spend 4man on boots without thinking....well minus discount it comes to 3man...so I guess that's ok

How do people know what quality gear is if they've ridden it all their life? Gotta start on the low quality to understand what good quality is. It's like surfing, you don't learn on a new board. You get your act together on a cheap pig and then buy a new one. You really appreciate the money you've spent and can notice the difference and where your hard earn't has gone.

Well, having said all this,

high-end equipment does not make it easier to do, especially if you are a beginner.

With snowboards, the flex, tortion, and shape ate designed for stability at high speed, and are not exactlty forgiving.

beginner-specific boards (like some rental models) have specific softnessess and beveled edges to make it easier to initiate turns. A worn-in used board will also act like this.

People trying to look the part are just that. They seem to think it is more important to look good than to do what is best for a beginner.

Some combination of multiple reasons, probably.

As they say here "katachi kara hairu". You should look the part in any hobby/activity you're partaking. (Don't ask.)

Quality's often valued more than price here.

And many people don't take hobbies lightly, you either have no interest or you go all.. the.. way.. and don't go around flirting with other hobbies :p

Personally, I went with cheap stuff at first (still am).

And yes, thank goodness for them for keeping the industry alive and lubricating the economy. If they were as cheap as many people on this board, the industry and economy may have collapsed by now \:D

hey? What?? quality is more valued than price?? I think you fuddled what you meant to say there number9. Price says a lot about the prestige of the product in this country right?? Otherwise why are there so many people concerned with flashing their expensive brand name goods? Quality may or may not be a resulting benefit of buying the brand name, but that is not the deciding factor. As you said. Katachi kara hairu. Form, not necessarily quality.