Well, this is my first season with all Burton gear, got all their flagship stuff. SL8, C60, Vapor, AK Goretext jacket.

C60, the carbon highback cracked on me twice! Waiting for them to send me a new set still.

Vapor, after maybe 35 times of using it this season. Out of all days, yesterday was a 12 inch powder day, the top layer peel off, which made the board as soft as riding on paper, on a double black diamond hill, send me flying down the hill. Luckily didn't injury myself. This is what u get with the lightest board on the market. Here is some pictures of the damaged:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/insider/sjmember.php?uid=advantyper

The worst part bout it, is it happen in 1 hour into the day, so I had to dump the board back to the car, long walk, then go rent a board..

The only thing still in good shape is my jacket and my SL8.

I have to said, I am not longer a Burton supporter, and still got around a month of winter season left, then trip to whistler in April. Burton better send me a board in time and ASAP.

Anyway, I don't recommend buying Burton products anymore!

Ouch, that sux! I did about half a days riding with a bloke from New Zealand teaching in Japan. He was using step-ins with brand new, fresh out the box Burton step-in boots. We went down a mogul run with about a foot of fresh powder on it and the plastic that makes up the part of the boot the teeth grip into split. His foot popped straight out I imagine, as I was ahead of him I didn't see it. I don't ride step-ins myself as I don't think much of them but for the boots to break like that almost immediatly is seriously shabby. Alot of dodgy burton gear seems to get through the net.

I wonder if he ever found his warranty card and receipt confused.gif

That si nothing new. Burtons quality has been going downhill for the past few years. All of the Canadian instructors i know hate Burtons quality, and the only reason they use it is because they get it for next to nothing.

Buy a Never Summer next time.

I know what you mean, I cracked my P1 carbons high back on my second day using them. Last month, the cap strap was torn. I also don’t think I will be buying Burtons staff any more. thumbsdown.gif

I am now riding a Prior Khyber and after 15 days on almost any terrain (mostly BC riding though) I mast say that I am extremely happy with it. \:\)

I finally bought some decent (or so I thought) gloves for this season, splashing out almost a man on burton toasters. - 10 days later, all the fake leather stuff had peeled off the ends of the fingers, and my hands were getting soaking wet.

Fair play to burton, they did replace the gloves with no fuss, but I then took them back to the sports shop with the original receipt and bought some 4000 yen no-brand gloves. -20 days later, the no-brands are still going strong without a scratch.

Bottom line - don't be fooled by big names.

I had Burton gloves and they were the most horrible sweat bags I have worn.

I have not cracked my C60 carbon highback. I must ride like a ski resort holiday maker ;\) . So must the Chamonix mountain guide I know that uses them, he rides 150+ days a year. So much good news / bad news makes me worry though. It is like playing Russian Roulette. I personally think the C60's are very uncomfortable anyway, they are too stiff and squash deform the boot when you tighten, thus negating any benefit derived from a well fitted boot in the first place. If they do break and get replaced then I will sell them.

well, to stick up for the home team...

I have been riding lots of burton products over the years (9) and I've never had any problems with burton stuff. Only bad thing I can think of was a repair job they did on my ak 3l jacket that was some pretty shitty stitching. Other than that though I still feel like I can buy a burton whatever and be confident in the quality and if it breaks the turn-around is the quickest in the industry. I would buy Burton over any of the japanese companies for sure.

advantyper, that's a gnarly top sheet you've got there lol.gif never seen one like that. Look on the bright side of it though: you get a brand-new board after using your old one for 35days. depending on the timing sometimes when products break it can be a blessing. The best is when it breaks on the last day of the season!

My Mission bindings are still going strong after about 100 days and I see no need to replace them. Totalled my Canyon board after 7 days last year due to an extemely hard stomping on a rock-didn't see this as a manufacturing fault, more like the lack of snow under a fresh dump of powder. Have a backpack which has served me well for a couple of years too.

Still, you can't always trust a big name brand. I guess the bigger Burton gets the more mass produced it is. Still think it's pretty good gear from where I'm sitting, though I probably wouldn't buy a Burton boardagain unless it was reasonably priced.

Never had a Burton Board, but my Burton Ronin Vent pants, no matter how well designed, are made from some pretty fragile fabric. The sides and ass have gone all fuzzy, and the stitching has worn through in places. Luckily I found a Gore-Tex emergency repair kit at Kathmandu in Whistler that helped it last through this season.

My Burton AK gloves are great, but the grip-tex palm on one side has turned into mummy-hand. there is a taped Gore-Tex underlayment, so it doesn't leak, but it looks like $h1t. No wonder they went to honmono leather this season.

My Burton Mission Doom bindings are top-notch and I have had no problems with them (knock on wood).

I heard from the shop guy here that less-expensive Burton boards are now China-made, and from inspection, the bindings have gone from being made in Slovenia and Hungary to China last season. Not like, "made in China," automatically means, "dodgy goods," but...

My Custom is on its third season...no troubles. My Burton gloves and pants are in great shape after two seasons. My only Burton complaint are their bindings. They fall apart on as little as 30 days.

Sounds like a lot of us had bad experience with Burton stuff, but then again there are those with great experience. Well, just send the board back to them today, hopefully they'll send me a new board. But if they do, I'll probably just sell it, a bit worry bout it happening again, with the warranty over, then I'll be stuck with the bill.

Anyone interest in the Burton Vapor 157...hehe

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
My only Burton complaint are their bindings. They fall apart on as little as 30 days.
Wow, now there is a blanket statement.

I have done almost exactly 30 days this season on my C60's. Guess they will fall apart this weekend. My Cartels have done more than 30 days, but a lot of that has been by my gf, so perhaps she doesn't ride them very hard.

Kintaro - do you respect your bindings? Do you ride lifts with the straps undone on the rear binding? Do you skate with the straps on the rear binding undone? Do you check the screws before each day of riding? Do you buy the cheap end of Burton gear? Do you drop your board on the snow bindings down?

It is amazing how top end Burton gear apparently just self destructs after 30 days. I bet every other binding manufacturer's gear lasts at least 100 days. Never hear a complain about Burton's competitors.

It is my opinion that snowboard bindings remain clearly over engineered with far to many moving parts and not enough secure fixtures which all become natural candidates for failure when put to repeated and intense use and often inappropriate abuse. It isn't just Burton's fault, it is the fault of the entire binding industry: They make gimmicked products that are designed to be the 'be all' for millions of uncaring snowboarder kids and middle aged start ups. Boarding gear is huge business because it is a boom sport where most participants don't really care about winter sports, they just want to ride a snowboard because it is cool. Most of the gear is not functionally designed and almost disposable in quality. Burton see this and so make a selection of products that cater to that market sector.

On the flip side, if you want to select from a range of dependable binding manufacturers in Tele, alpine ski or alpine snobo then no problems! There is a wide selection of competing brands producing quality, refined and functional bindings.

In the meantime the snobo industry makes gizmo plastic fragile bindings that look like Darth Vaders helmet meets Alien.

for all those that hate burton because they are a money-hungry, not-making-quality-products monopoly check this link:

http://www.snowboard-mag.com/node/7780

the author expresses my feelings exactly.

I don't think Burton make perfect products but they do make enough excellent products to justify my respect. I don't buy all burton or get something because it has a 'b' on it. Before any purchase I fully research what I want. I make a point of checking all companies and seeing the quality vs price level.

I have used various Burton things over the years and it is my 7 season old bindings, customs, that are still going strong, new buckles and that`s

been it. And I am not overly careful with them.

I had a pair of mitts that lasted about 6 seasons too and were always toasty. Got the same model this year and a hole appeared in the palm after less than a week`s use.

had a Ronin jacket that got shredded in no time on the board carrying side.

And as Oyuki Kigan says buy a Never Summer board.

le spud, I ride C60's and no, I don't take that much care of my bindings. I keep the screws tight but don't watch the straps when I ride a lift. And they are still functionnable after 30 days out but damaged on about day 3 (the back binding). Recently the back front strap isn't working so well either.

You are correct, it was a blanket statement. I'll still ride Burton in the future.

I think current snowboard strap bindings are too poorly designed not to be treated with the upmost care and respect. You just cant afford to have them fail at speed or on steep terrain.

Here is an example that troubles me:

Burton C60 binding, ankle strap: the ratchet buckle is attached to the strap pad by one screw and a bent flang of metal. likewise, the other end of the ankle pad is attached to the plastic strap by you guessed it one screw. If you are riding at average speed on a 35-40 degree slope or riding the pipe or a kicker and that one screw fails then you could injure your leg/knee in a horrendous manner. In the most extreme riding that you can handle, your entire fate is controlled by the performance of one screw. From a performance design perspective, it is not good enough.

One screw threaded into a metal insert in a plastic strap. What's it matter how well the binding performs if so much in resting on that one screw. This kind of design fault is not unique to Burton bindings either.

[Off topic - I always found flang to be a rather rude sounding word.]

Burton send me a new board, just got it today. They 2 days Fedex to me, which is pretty nice of them. Even with all the problems with Burton gear this season, got to loved their fast product repair/replacement. Still prefer to ride on the Vapor then any other board. I'll got easier on the board this time. Hope it'll last me for another season..haha