A friend of mine told me about a friend back in Europe who apparently had a pretty bad crash on the slopes (only with himself luckily) and actually broke (snapped?) his skis! (He came out of it just bruised and a bit shocked.)

Is that as unlikely as it sounds to me?!

I cracked one of my F9's a few years back. built a small kicker to get over the fence back in MI.

Came down right in front of a hidden pipe from the snowmakers, cracked in the same spot right in front of the binding. Didn't totally snap, but was totally unuseable. Also split the tips twice on a pair of K2 Extremes. The local ski shop just hated to see me come in.

I snapped a brand new burton custom clean in half just in front of the front foot binding by hitting a tree at night in Niseko. I was so upset at the time because I'd only used the board a few days but later was glad that the board took the hit rather than me.

Hey Mudguts,

I did almost exactly the same to my custom on a tree at Happo-one, except my snap was just behind the front binding. I could get to the bottom of the hill on it OK because the base wasnt't snapped through, and was quite a lot of fun for that run. It basically just hinged between my two feet allowing me to pick the front or back up really easily, and coast along in weird super-long nose or tail manuals, steering with just one foot!

I did get some strange looks though.

A friend of mine had his bright orange ski books crack open on him at the top of Nozawa. That journey to the bottom looked pretty mad. (He was mad as well, the boots were only a year old!)

Maybe there's more stories of burtons breaking because there's more burton boards out there and proportionally they don't break more than any other maker?

Or maybe they do just suck?

I try to buy boards from smaller manufacturers now because I don't really believe that the process of manufacturing a board has advanced much for quite a while. They're still pretty much just wood cores with fibreglass bits right?

Also, how much of the extra you pay for a big-name brand board actually goes into making the board better and how much into keeping the brand big? Im guessing that a lot will go on promo/sponsoring events/advertising which wouldn't be the case with smaller manufacturers. I'm sure there's plenty of happy burton owners out there who will disagree with me, and fair play to you, I hope you're happy with your stuff, but I know I wasn't.

A mate of ours is a 6'4'' fat bastard - he went over a very small divet in the snow at near walking speed and both of his K2 ski's cracked just at the nose of the front bindings ... very funny to watch as he picked 'em up and the front sections were swinging in the breeze! eek.gif

Another friend had her ski boots for several years - she was walking along one morning and they literally fell to pieces with each step taken - leaving a trail of white plastic shards.