At Arai Mountain I was surprised to see the revival of the sticky ticket with plastic wicket (the lift ticket is a sticker that must be folded over the wicket to be worn on your jacket or pants, threaded through a zipper pull or non detachable loop).

It looks like a step backwards, especially considering that some resorts in Japan are using the newer technology with smart IC chip cards that are used to open lift gates or bar coded tickets which are read with a scanner. Also, I like the environmentally friendly, reuseable IC card system. Disposing of the ticket/wicket in the past also required wire cutters (the wickets were made of wire).

The nondetachable wicket system was created so that you could not share a lift ticket or sell it. At many US resorts, for example, there is no morning ticket, only a full day ticket or an afternoon ticket. People would ski/ride for half a day, then go out to the parking lot and sell the ticket. In California the resale of a lift ticket is illegal.

Most resorts in Japan I have been to allow you to put the paper lift ticket in an armband holder or clear pass holder which can be clipped (carabiner, etc.) onto clothing. At Arai, there was a notice saying that these holders could not be used for Arai lift tickets but I used my armband holder and was not stopped.

Are there other resorts in Japan with the sticker/wicket system?

Yup, I used to do the lovemaking dance with the sensors. Then i got some gloves with a small pocket which fits the chip thing perfectly. Now i practise my homealone five knuckle shuffle at the sensor gate. At least its quicker...ahem!. \:D

Fits with the thread title as well!!!!

Mountain High in Southern California would have these thin plastic tickets you have to feed into the ticket gate and have spit back out everytime you go to the lift. Annoyed the hell out of me! mad.gif

I keep forgetting to get my IC refund. I have several IC's from Hakuba and a friggin pile from European resorts. It gets costly. But they are a good system.

I can understand one of Arai's possible motivations. A few seasons ago a bunch of gaijins would use Lawson colour photocopiers to duplicate day passes. I was associated with this group and to be honest, I refused to partake (it is theft and you are only as strong as your weakest link). No one in that group of gaijins use this forum anymore, but they used to. The resort in question was not Arai.

yeah that's the kind of dodgy illegal stuff I won't get involved in either spud. get caught and it's fraud charges. Which is one of the things they take very seriously! Not just a matter of swapping a season pass with a mate.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
yeah that's the kind of dodgy illegal stuff I won't get involved in either spud. get caught and it's fraud charges. Which is one of the things they take very seriously! Not just a matter of swapping a season pass with a mate.
Nah its no problem. If you get caught, you go on TV, bow, say you're sorry and something along the lines of "I will think long and hard about how best to atone for causing distrust in the public...blah blah blah!". lol.gif

lol.gif If you are Japanese!

If you are a gaijin, then you get busted do some time, lose your job, get deported back home, thus proving once again how us gaijin are driving the crime rate seriously high in this country! thumbsdown.gif ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
lol.gif If you are Japanese!

If you are a gaijin, then you get busted do some time, lose your job, get deported back home, thus proving once again how us gaijin are driving the crime rate seriously high in this country! thumbsdown.gif ;\)
Dont forget the hosing at the detention centre. Just to clean yer of course! eek.gif eek.gif
  • 2 weeks later...
 Quote:
If you are a gaijin, then you get busted do some time, lose your job, get deported back home
Bushpig, I'm sure that was said jokingly, but are there many cases in which foreigners really are treated unfairly like that? I'd be interested to know.

In my experience I would say the people I know have been treated with a lot of leniency because they are foreign, almost the opposite.

To be fair Joshnii I can only go on stories I have heard or read about. And yes, that was said jokingly. No first hand experience. I do recall one guy on the JET program getting shit-faced drunk, climbing onto someones roof and throwing down tiles. The police rocked up with an English interpreter expecting a foreigner who spoke English (which he did), but he said he was French and refused to speak to them, probably trying to get them to just overlook the whole thing and send him home to sleep it off. But, they locked him up and then discovered in the morning that he did in fact speak English! lol.gif Anyway, he was charged with whatever applicable law there was, lost his job on the JET program, and was deported.