1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

What is the comfortable room temperture for you to sleep?

I set our central heating system to warm up rooms around 20 - 22 C when it works.

I find a lot often heaters in the rooms turned off if they are rooms which foreign people get in! Is 20 - 22C too hot for you to sleep? But if you turned the heater off, don't you feel it brrrrr cold?

20 - 22! too hot! I sleep with no heaters, nothing,

If I were you I would set it to take the chill of the air - low setting and just give your guests an extra blanket. Save alot on heating costs too.

You dont need heated rooms, my family are spartans back home the no bedrooms are heated, only the living areas. The only time I have lived with Central heating was when I lived in Colorado, I lived (not by choice in company accomodation) with a strange Mexican dude called Bulmaro who spoke no English and loved to crank the heating up to max and I kept cranking it down, we played little mind games until my other roommate and I got him thrown out for having his illegal overstaying cousin hiding out in our place. Fun and games!

The horrific torture contraption known as the Night Bus is always excruciatingly hot, hot dry artificial air, I strip down to a T-shirt while J chicks on the same bus are sitting there with beanies and down Jackets, it is mental! I always have to go to the front and ask the driver to turn down the heat.

Gams:

We turn everything off when we sleep. We all have down futons and that's all we need. Even the kids don't sleep with a heater on.

We do have humidifiers in each room though, and run them as we sleep to stop the sore throats in the morning.

I also turn the heater off when I sleep. I can not sleep with a heater on and dry air.

I thought it was because I used to temperture here. Japanese people from cities say it cold here, so I thought it was a "Must" for me to heat all the rooms up enough.

Miso - humidifiers= kashitsuki ? (a machine provides humidity )

snowglider - I agree. Night bus is terrible even to me. Too hot and tight-no room around your feet. I sometimes got on a night bus when I was young but no more now.

When Japanese people get in a same room with foreign people, they always catch a cold next morning saying

"gamera, they turned the heater off!!!!!! Very cold for me brrrrr" lol... can not help, it's their choice.... I can not interrupt, I guess.

Sleep time = no heater. Waste of money. We have blankets for a reason, don't we?

In Hawaii we don't need AC or heaters (maybe out in Ewa /Mililani, CB \:\) ...in Kahala iranai ).

I usually turn the heater on for 40min - 1hr before going to bed and then turn if off when I turn in for the night. There is nothing better than snuggling up with your down doona (sorry, Aussie here) and your partner to keep you warm through out the night. Socks also help. I'm one of those people who can't sleep with cold feet.

I must be getting soft, I don't like it colder than about 10 degC at night. 20-22 degC is getting uncomfortable. Last weekend took my girlfriend (Japanese) away skiing. I ended up sleeping with a single sheet over me whilst she had 2 duvets.

Japanese summers are a killer for me, air-con costs are shocking \:o

• 2 weeks later...

Im on my fourth cold this winter! not sure why, maybe cause i teach kids all day. or maybe cause of the air-conditioning heating (dry air). i was only recently told that, so now i dry all my washing infront of the aircon to get the humidity up. back home we always use the open fire or wood burner - cant beat em!!

if its cold in the morning here, i blast the aircon for 30 mins before i rise.

I agree with snowglider and the others. Cold rooms for sleeping. Nothing nicer than being warm in the cold.

Weekday bed: I sleep with no heater at all and window open an inch or two in winter. I like to sleep in a cold room. I sleep under my 10 year old kmart duvet that has the worlds stiffest feathers in it. It is a bit thin these days so on top of that I have an old mega cheap polyester duvet inner and two elastic edged mattress protectors that were in my 'furnished' apartment when I moved in. The Mattress protectors are heavy old things with yellow stains on them from previous tenants. I have a rule never to touch them. My bed and home during the week is utterly irrelevant, I don't really even live there, I just use it as a place to sleep between days at work. A few years ago I almost splash out of super luxury bedding. Glad I didn't. My recent sleeping bag purchase is my goose down luxury treat to myself.

Weekend bed: My girlfriend's nice warm soft bed! Her room temp is a little high for me though but it can't be controlled from the apartment rather it is part of the buildings heating system, so you just put up with it.

heater on in the apt and turn it off just before getting into bed. Probably room temp is around 18-20 degrees in winter with heater on. I like it freezing when im sleeping with a nice huge heavy down blanket. Love em, so comfy and warm, just add GF body heat = heaven \:\)

Japanese indoor temps are usually way too hot for me. Your city guests sound like they're soft as shite Gamera and getting a cold might teach them to harden up a little. Same goes for the summertime aircon madness, the only reason people get colds in summer is because they're constantly exposed to tremendous temperature extremes. Let's not cranking the denki-let's saving the energy!

yup, waaaaaay too hot, or waaaaaay too cold. That, and I love national air-con day...though its was def hot enough to use the air-con for over a month, you need to wait for "X" day to turn it on. J-peeps really dont know/understand the word "flexible" do they?

No heaters for me at night (or air con).

We also have humidifiers and the heater is on for a short time before bed (in winter) and air con (in summer).

If I sleep with the heater on, I wake up feeling sick and usually with a headache from the stuffiness of the air in the room.

Oblivion, I think it's not turn off heaters day yet, because I was questioned as to why I was wearing just a t-shirt the other day! I asked if I should wait till April 1st.

The place I am is actually quite flexible about that thing. I think it's town offices and schools that are the places that turn the heat on and off by the book and to the day. Quite funny really.