Hum.. didn't know that, muikabochi.

Perhaps I guess quad lifts have bigger chairs than smaller ones. So what if it snows hard at night? A cable for quad lift could get a lot more extra weight than other cables because chairs for quad lifts could get more snow than others....?

With an old man's brain, at this moment this is only one which poped up.

\:\)

When I worked at Keystone Co. we took the cabins off the line every night on the Outback Gondola.

It doesnt take long at all and is very easy to do, as fast as the come into the terminal you can whip them off.

It extends the life af the chairs/cabins and it protects the detaching mechaism from the elements.

For Gondolas is allows them to come out un-iced in the morning so the punters can enjoy the views.

Im under the impression that most places in the world remove detatachable chairs/pods (double, quad, godola) for a few reasons to add to the reasons above you can be sure you haven't left anyone on the lift, makes maintence and inspection easier, all the above are valid too (longevity, ice/snow, wind bashing the chairs about), it doesn't matter if weather isn't windy or snowy at the time as weather can change quickly, lifties are in the habit of doing it, I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry, it only takes about 10mins.