Resorts lying (blatantly misleading us) about conditions

What do you guys feel about resorts basically lying about snow conditions. You know saying things are good, when in fact they are obviously shite to anyone who is on the snow.

It really makes me boil, I hate it. mad.gif I know they have a business to run and want people to go, but if they tell some real porkers to people I'm sure they must have some irate customers from time to time. Or do Japanese just accept that?

It's great that we have the now reports on here that are up front about things. Pity every resort in Japan can't be a bit more honest.

On a weekend as well thumbsdown.gif Not that I like park riding but it is stupid

Tsugaike is funny as well

I've seen a couple times on SJ where they say they got 120cm or 135cm of new snow when no other resorts in the Hakuba valley got any. They are just playing catchup but it certainly makes them stand out on the new snow chart

• SnowJapan Moderator

Yeah sorry about that nothing we can do there, it is just a case of catch up.

I know what Hokkaidough means though - some resorts do post outright lies on their websites saying snow conditions are good when they absolutely are not. No naming of names from us on here... Thats why we really do our best to tell it like it is on those now reports.

We know SJ you dont have to worry about that. I have found out this year that the resorts are afraid to post the true snowfall numbers. They are afraid to post big numbers most of the time cause it keeps most of the mid levels away.

At work during the big weather the resorts were reporting very little snow. For example we had 50cms of fresh on the ground at work and the resort would report 20cms. One day we asked the resorts why they were reporting so little and their answer was lame. Actually they admitted to not reporting the true depth.

resorts should have depth indicators out in the open where the public can see them, this would make it very difficult for them to lie (my hat goes off to Nozawa). I always check the snowdepth when I go to Nozawa and it allways corelates, no lies there.

• 2 weeks later...