im in the market for new bindings as teh sales get good.

i currently have click-in bindings, with no other support. despite the tremendous convenience, i feel like im compromising a lot of performance.

anyone got opinions on the 'FLOW' bindings? or any other bindings i should/shouldn't buy? sadglass.gif

There is a discussion on flows going on at the moment so I won't cover them here.

I chose Burton bindings for the Cap Strap innovation. I like it.

Last season I used Burton Cartels. I bought them as they were on sale (the shop bought too many small sizes). They were very comfortable and I enjoyed using them. They are quite light. The high back is notably high yet very torsionally flexible. They were slightly too small for me so I donated them to my girlfriend and bought Burton C60's. They are super light and stiff. Not as comfortable, particularly due to the height at which the ankle strap traverses the ankle. The C60 heel cup (?) seems to be lower than the Cartel's and therefore the ankle strap is too low on the foot, even if I utilise the upper most attachment point. All up, I prefer the Cartels over the C60's.

People mark Burton poorly for durability and long life and indeed I took the time to study them closely and have found a few simple build/design aspects that could certainly be improved, and if so, would ensure a more durable longer lasting binding. I also note that nearly every boarder in a lift line does not do up the straps on their empty binding??!! Straps and ratchets are flopping everywhere getting bent and kicked and stepped on. Then when they get off the lift at the top they step on their ratchets a few more times as they skate 50m before strapping in. I bet these people complain about gear breakages more than I do. Apparantly carefully ensuring your gear is not subject to treatment for which it is not designed is a threat to a snoboarders cool image. I also see heaps of boarders throwing their decks on the snow, bindings first.

Finally, I do not trust binding straps or ratchets and so carry about 50cm of 1mm wire in my pack to make an on-the-fly foot strap should I have any issues in the BC. I also carry cable ties but these are almost useless in the cold (unless you have wide industrial ties designed for huge temperature ranges and chemical spills. I have investigated and these are available). I suppose I could just carry a little bag of spare straps and ratchets.....

I've got a pair of burton missions from 5 years ago and they are still fine (a couple of broken buckles is all). I've got a pair of Flux too but they are sooooo unsupportive. I'm surprised that I haven't sprained an ankle yet. Yet they've been real durable too. 5 years for them too.(over 250 days each for sure)

I just picked up a pair of this year's cartels on the auctions last night! 21000yen! woo hoo!

I'm looking forward to the capstrap ;\)

This year I also made the transition back to strap bindings. I had been riding clicker highbacks for years, and you are right they are super convienent, except in powder. I ended up buying the Burton Cartel highbacks this year and have been so totally impressed by them. The cap strap gives you the same feeling as the toe/heel attachement of the clickers with a bit more flexibility. Also I have found the cartel way more comfortable than the clickers. It took a little getting use to again, but after a day of riding straps I won't ever go back to clickers. The highbacks are stiff, which helps with the edge to edge transfer, super responsive. But for sure the best thing about the Cartels is the cap strap, why did it take so long to invent such a simple idea?

Burton and Technine came out at the same time with the capstrap. Mark Frank Montoya had been rocking what he called his 'Baltimore toe strap' for Technine. This year Flux and Yonex bindings have their own capstrap versions.

i rock Drake bindings. my first pair were F60's. they did me proud. then i got some F70's which i painted black, i was young, they were sweet. i snapped them both on a monster kicker, landing on the knuckle. however, i'd adjusted them loads and i think that's why they snapped (on the baseplate). needless to say i whipped off a moany letter to Drake who promptly sent me a pair of the following season's Matrix. they are slightly heavier than friends' Burtons that i've ridden but i love them like siblings. they also don't have capstraps yet, i think. but them's good. not too popular here in japan, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

one thing i would say, when choosing bindings take your boots along. when i was buying my F70's it was a toss-up between them and Burton Missions. the Missions looked sweet but my boots felt really strange when strapped in and cranked up. the Drakes felt like nuzzling up to a bosom. and the Matrix's do too. nice.

ps - don't buy anything endorsed by Marc-Frank Montoya. he's a prize pillock.

i reckon modern Burton and Ride bindings look the dog's danglers. don't know much about Flux but i see loads of them here and lots of my japanese buddies swear by them.

good luck!

I am running Burton C60 and K2 cinch binding right now. The burton is the lightest binding I e ver use the board feel and control is more direct. The racket system is super fast and easy to use. My only problem with it is that i crackked the highend once, send it back and they send me a new pair. but I just crack it again, don't know if I am riding it too hard or just bad design. Need to send it back again. Luckily the warranty is for one year, but a bit worry, after the one year is over. So my advice, stay away from the carbon fiber high backs.

I also got a pair of 2006 K2 cinch binding, 10x better then my Flow binding, because the front rise up when you pullthe highback down, so much easier in and out. But downfall is a bit on the heavy side. And the feedback from the binding isn't as good as the C60.

I sold my Flow Pro-FR two months ago, they were too heavy and getting in and out of them was sometimes a problem, if your boot's front is a bit big. The new FLow X6 or something suppose to be much lighter and mbetter feedback when riding. haven't try them yet, but looks promising!

I would pick the K2 Cinch over the Flows, because of the easier in and out function.

I was riding Drake Matrix and had minimal problems with them and the got the job done. This year I found some Burton P1's on sale and had been looking at them anyways. First day out it was awesome. I did not really know how much of a difference good bindings would make. The comfort factor was great and they are so much more responsive. it is going to take alot to go wrong to steer me away from buying them again when the time comes.

I found Mark Frank Montoya to be a nice guy when I met him. His riding is always amazing too...so I'll disagree with the comment that he's a prize pillock. However, you should never buy gear because of endorsements. My friends bought Sims MFM boards a few years ago and really regretted it (anyone should know that Sims is generally crap).

Anyways, back on topic:

my friends in the industry look down on flux bindings as they have little support and are generally cheaply made bindings.

If you want burtons for cheap check the yahoo auctions. the cartels are going around 21000yen plus about 2000yen in shipping and handling.

just tried out my new cartels yesterday and they are amazing. the capstrap is the greatest invention since sliced bread! The ankle straps have gel in them so while they are super tight, they are real comfy. I highly recommend them