• Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Still deciding on what to do next year, but we're inclined to check out Hokkaido, not Niigata which seems similar to Nagano, just not quite as good. "

You might cop a bit of stick for that one.

Either way, the difference between Hokkas and Honshu depends more on the conditions on the day than anything else.

Quote:
You might cop a bit of stick for that one.
Yes I know ;\)

Though actually looking at everything from a totally objective viewpoint, it does seem to be the winner in terms of general opinion.

There terrain thing goes without saying, I was actually thinking more in terms of quality of snow and weather conditions. Anyway, on reflection I think I may have completely miss-understood BofC’s post.

On the terrain point and this might strike some people as being sacrilegious but I reckon there are times when there is a lot to be said for easier runs, say, with a max of 30 degrees. It can still be a lot of fun with none of the hassles that super steeps can bring. That’s not to say that the lines that FT, Torque, Spud and the others do aren’t awesome (they are), it’s just that not every ride has to be a knife edge life and death ride.

lol.gif

Maybe I'm just revealing my own fears and limitations with that comment - I'll take pow, bowls and trees in preferene to cliffs and jibbing off rocks any day. The handful of weeks I get each year are precious.

Toque - what would you prefer, a full season of riding even if it doesn't push your limits or a handful of rides that end in injury and a curtailed season?

Ah, but the injury in your hypothetical is a given. In reality there is only the chance of it, but also the chance of not getting injured right? Which makes the option of pushing your limits seem more attractive. (Of course if you know you are gonna get injured then you'll take the other option)

I enjoy pushing myself and to me a day on the slopes where I'm not pushing it I'd almost rather be sitting at my desk

Whether I'm pushing it on the decent or accent doesn't really matter. If I come back at the end of the day feeling like I've improved and challenged my body and mind then everything is good.

This year I broke my foot (not skiing) in the beginning of January. I've only skied maybe 4 or 5 resort days since then but I'll probably still get a good number of ski days above 50. Injury is what you make it.

A full season where you don't improve isn't really a full season is it?

I prefer to think of it more in terms of a cost/benefit analysis. But you make a good point - there is an inherent good in pushing one's limits and the risk of failure only makes success that much sweeter.

sorry Toque my last post was to BP.

Fair enough and I understand what you're saying but where does that approach end? Do you not get pleasure from simply being on the snow and out of the office? Perhaps this simply reflects the views of a part timer as oposed to someone like yourself who gets 50+ days a year. Any day on the snow is the product of a lot of money and planning and if the snow is good then that's enough - if there are some steeps and trees then all the better.

It also depends on the level that you ski at. Ask any higher level skier all be it athlete and they will want a challenge. That is not to say that the same athlete wouldnt enjoy a mellow day but they probably couldnt do it day in and day out. I enjoy a good cruising day or cruise to the lifts after a good leg burning run. Its fun to tweak your technical side and less steep runs do help if you know how to self correct form. I would not myself go to anywhere to ski 30 degree powder when i can get enough of that or steeper right out the front door. If I lived elsewhere i might decide to take a trip somewhere like that but more than likely i would choose something harder. Most big Japanese resorts dont offer much inbounds anyways and thus they are close to the same. I prefer honshu because on any given day im 2 hrs drive from 200 resorts or more. You just cant compete with that really. As long as it doesnt rain youll have fun pretty much anywhere.

I've been to many resorts in Hokkaido and in fact I prefer them to the resorts I've been to in Nagano and Niigata. That's mainly because I like the facilities there and the terrain suits my skiing level. However, thanks to Fattwins and the crew, I find myself going more to Honshu in recent years mainly because it means I can hang out with the cool people in the area. That "2 hrs drive from 200 resorts or more" is really attractive when you get to hop a ride with him and especially when he leaves his car-keys on the counter for you to use on days he is working and unavailable.

That was incredible. Thanks again, Fattwins.