Which resort in Japan is most "Alpine" in appearance?

Although I had a swell at Niseko during the past week, it left something desired. The scenery was not quite "Alpine". Mt. Yote was fabulous, but other than that, the surroundings were too plain. The trees were mostly birches (as opposed to tall pine trees that in my opinion give more Alpine look), and I didn't see any granite-exposing rocky mountains either.

I understand it's all a matter of taste, but if you were looking for a ski area in Japan that smacks of the Alps, which would that be?

Quote:
Originally posted by snowzzang:
The trees were mostly birches (as opposed to tall pine trees that in my opinion give more Alpine look), and I didn't see any granite-exposing rocky mountains either.
Don't get so many pine trees around here
They are there of course but it's moslty deciduous stuff

My vote goes for Hakuba though if you want to look at big mountains. If only they put a gondola up to the top of just one of those peaks...

Hakuba is surrounded by beautiful tall mountains. You can't see such a spectacular mountains from Shigakogen. I thought Tomamu had many pine trees and different atmosphere from other resorts. It's more Scandinavian mountain like?

i live in a zone surrounded by the look your after, that gets me stoked too but the view from happo sent my brain spinning,

i havent been any where else in japan but visually I was stunned on how cool things are in hakuba.

rad spot