Some very sad news to report.

It seems that yesterday an 18 year old snowboarder hit a tree at Kandatsu (Yuzawa) and has today died.

Reports are that he was コース外 (outside of the course) when it happened - he hit a tree, was unconscious yesterday but we have heard today that he has since died.

We'll try to find out some more details tomorrow.

Having hit a tree really hard just recently I know how quickly it can unfold. Not cool.

I am guessing he hit his head, no helmet?

Its never an easy thing to have a youngster taken before their time.

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome

Isaac Asimov

very sad news but begs the question of when are they going to introduce a system where people who have the ability, equipment and level of responsibilty are going to be able to ride off course with some kind of special ticket ( cortina had this a few years back ) and those who dont get whacked with a huge fine when caught....in kagura it is unbelievable to see the amount of idiots out of their depth off course ( and sometimes in trouble ).......

I don't know if a helmet prevents more deaths or creates more. I've heard of some stats that show no difference in the number of injuries and deaths between wearers and nonwearers. The protection of the helmet gets evened up by wearers charging harder than they normally would and thus getting into bad situations at greater speed.

helmets protect against head injuries, not human nature.

safety equipment allows the sport to progress, just like seatbelts, etc let you drive on the highway faster. the injury stats are pretty steady

in both.

no one wants to slow down, and no one wants to stop skiing trees and the park

From what I have heard this weekend the guy was charging down the gelende near the side of the track. He lost control and crased onto a tree near by. It was considered a out-of bounds accident because the tree was not a part of the groomers… wakaranai.gif