• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

those kamoshika things are awfully cute. how big are they? are they related to deer or something? i suppose i could google/wikipedia it...i want to see one! are they only in japan?

monkeys are cool but scary sometimes. in thailand i saw a group of about 12 of them take over these girls' sarongs while the girls were in the ocean. they went through their bags, looked through magazines, ate their food etc. i was laughing from afar, but they're viscious when they hiss at you!

Saw 2 at Oze Iwakura in Gunma on Saturday ... They seemed to be just sunning themselves and not moving around at all. We wondered what they survive on? Rabbits and so on I guess.

They are interesting creatures though and are probably happy that the snow of December and early January has stopped!

well i suppose i was a little too close. he was feeling a little threatened i suspect.

funny, i spent years living in banff informing tourist (much of whom were japanese) on how to responsably and safely view the wildlife. the first time i see a wild animal here i am right in its face.

It was well documented a few years ago, but a good buddy (from this forum in the old days) nearly soiled himself when he saw a harmless furry looking Kamoshika about 20m from us whilst off piste. We were with Fattwins, can't remember what resort. I was waving at it and he was scared it would charge at us. Pathetic ;\)

Just to keep with my effort to turn snowjapan.com into snowearth.com:

Whilst scrambling like an incompetent oaf on a rope last year in the Aiguille Rouges (in my usual back country haunt) I cam almost face to face with an Ibex. He jumped up and down the near cliff like it was a gentle 15 degree slope in Kensington Gardens! Cocky little bastard scared me for a while. He could have rammed me off his mountain with a flick of the head. Luckily he didn't hang around for long.

montblanc.jpg

Quote:
Originally posted by blinkin'ek:
What is ezojika?
Ezojika is deer in Hokkaido.
sika02092.jpg

Ezorisu is squirrel in Hokkaido. Ezomatsu is aromatic pine tree in Hokkaido. Got it? \:\)

LiquidX - nope, not my picture, I stole that it from the internet. It is however in the Grand Paradiso national park on the Italian-French boarder and that is Monte Bianco in the background.

Slow - can you eat that thing. Looks tasty.