I'm interested in what everyone else is wearing under the top jacket when you're out there.

I usually have an insulating long sleeved tshirt thing (can't remember the name), another long sleeved polo shirt thing and sometimes this really warm fleece top as well.

Yep - under a non-thermal shell I wear a long sleeve thermal top (weight dependant on conditions), and a fleece or fine wool vest.

Keep your head, hands and feet warm and ya don't need much.

By the way - I really like those thermal tops that have a zippered turtle neck - easy to regulate temperature, but find them hard to get these days.

I've usually got on a long sleeve med. weight thermal plus a heavy thermal fleece pullover thingy witht the zip turtle neck that SubZero was talking about, and my shell. If is is cold I add a light weight windproof marmot jacket that is fleeced lined, then of course the shell on top, but even with all of this on I've gotten pretty chilly on some of those super windy days way up in the alpine stuff. I'm actually looing for a new jacket that is lined any recommendations out there?

Creek boy, nothing worse then flaky itchy skin at the end of the day.... lol.gif

Just to jump back on the topic... cheap uniqlo all the way.. just a short shirt sleeve and a long one on top... nothing worst then sweating yourself a 0 degrees and freezing later (besides flaky itchy skin of course)... \:\)

Fubuki. I bought a Descente jacket in the sales a couple of years ago. It is beautifully made with about twelve pockets all nicely integrated into the jacket, and a lined hood which folds into the collar. The lining is a mix of synthetics and down. The shell is breathable and has excellent water resistance. It cost about 18,000 Yen, and is superb.

Under it I wear a T shirt, a shirt and a fleece sweatshirt with a high zipped collar.

I like to be on the edge of a little bit cold most of the time. If I am sitting on a lift, I want to be feel the cold. If I am not cold on a lift or when standing still then I am over dressed (or it is a sunny windless day).

I am with kintaro: uniqlo gear. I wear a uniqlo synthetic long sleeve thermal and a thin uniqlo fleece. If I am walking of the temps are above -5 then that is too much. If temps are -15C or below then I wear two thermal undershirts along with the fleece. My jacket is a gortex shell, zero insulation or lining or padding. Under my shell pants I only wear a uniqlo long john. Again, super cheap. The only problem with the uniqlo fleeces is that they don't have zips up the front and so when hiking you cant unzip both your jacket and fleece to regulate unwanted heat.

Oh year, I wear bib and brace pants and the back section is a little fleecy and runs up to my middle back. This adds quite a bit or warmth and acts as a partial layer itself. The front of the pants come up to my lower ribs and so that acts as another layer. On a warm day there is no need at all for a fleece, just a thermal long sleeve tshirt.

Dont forget what goes over your jacket: a backpack covers your entire back and adds heaps of warmth. Plus, I carry a spare set of long johns and a fleece in a vacuum bag in my pack. So if I find myslef under dressed then I can add a layer.

Cotton t-shirt underneath a thermal top with a neckwarmer usually does the trick. Add to this a merino wool zip-neck top and inner gloves for really cold conditions. If things get really extreme the beanie can go on under the helmet.

Jacket and pants have vents for warm conditions or hiking. The jacket also has a snow skirt but I usually don't use it. The neckwarmer was the last addition to my kit and I don't know how I managed without one until now. Probably the only thing I need now is a mask for freezing blizzard conditions.