Are you travelling by car? If so it takes about 5 hours depending on the conditions of the road. I've done this journey soooo many times both in winter and summer. The quickest route is to go from Furano to Yubari, then to Chitose then from there follow the signs to Shikotsuko then Kutchan (if you're going to Hirafu area). If you want more detailed directions I can give them to you. You could use the expressway from Otaru to Mikasa...but it doesn't actually make much difference in terms of time. Also, sections of the expressway are often closed due to the weather.

Once I had to do that journey in a snowstorm at night and it was a horrible experience, especially the section from Mikasa to Furano. The powder was so deep and it was snowing so hard that I couldn't even see where the road was. There were no other cars on the road - well, actually, 3. I passed a stranded car with noone in it, one car driving the other way who stopped to ask how the road was and just before I reached Furano 3 salaryman in a front-wheel drive who were stranded in their suits. I dug them out but the car kept on slipping so in the end I towed them up to a tunnel where they left the car and then I drove them to a hotel in Furano. I should have stopped my car in the tunnel near Mikasa and slept there.

Moral of the story - take a spade, a tow rope, a sleeping bag or warm clothes and drive with a full tank of petrol.

Sorry, I don't know what the conditions are like in Furano now. I'll be going that way from 10th-14th so I can tell you after that...but I won't go to Furano ski jo as I don't like it. I'll probably go to Furanodake, Sandan yama and/or Asahidake. You can check snow reports somewhere on this Snow Japan website though.

• 1 month later...