What's your thought on Snow Blades? I mean those very short carving ski that are typically 75-100cm long.

I think they are easy to handle and not bad for learners. But a pro ski instructor told me they are only 'fun' ski. I don't understand exactly what he meant as most people do ski actually for fun and no other reason.

I usually tell non-ski people that snow blades are a good way to start and you can really control them in no time. In fact, I think they are good to start. You can try all moves and can do those on longer ski (if you want them) later.

I really can't see any disatvantage. Is there any?

In France they used to start on short skis and every day ski on a longer ski until you reach normal length. Don't think they are still using this method.

Japanese ski slalom racers were known to use short skis for technique/balance training.

From a strictly learning perspective using a shorter ski for a day doesn't need to be bad.

I used the G word a while back and I stand by it

It's ok for starting out

But you have to move up to big skis

I'd tell somebody to start on shorter skis. Not snowblades. A ski with a real release binding.

There are huge disadvantages

- they are sketch at speed

- you can't go into powder. Well you can but you are a dork to try it

That's all I got right now

Well, I started with Blades. Then I moved to a very short 120cm carver (coz blades have a fixed binding that can not fit my boot size and it was getting painfull after 3 days in one size too small boots).

The short carver is nice. I may try a longer ski next time. Still, I can't see the benefit. I was in deep powder in the EU alps last year with snow up to my knee and had no problems.

Sounds like it's more of a personal choice one makes.

snowglider

Thanks for the link. But there is also no clear indication of good or bad. So I am still at square one with my question.

Id say it depends on what level you want to take your skiing to. You can become a good skier on blades (no question bout that). But, I dont think you could become an expert level skier on snowblades. Lets get serious, you cant ski as fast on snowblades as on regular skis, you cant ski powder, your balance isnt as good, jumping is harder...well landing is at least and Im sure other people could add some more info.

For learning they are fine. But to take your skiing ability to another level they just wont cut it.

I'm in a similar situation as Kraut. I'm on 130-something cm freerides now because I wanted to play more in the park, and go faster down the slopes, so I wanted regular release bindings and more stability. I haven't tried full length carvers recently though, so I'm not sure if I'll have as much trouble controlling them as before, now that I've been skiing about 40 days with the fun skiis and the medium length skiis.

I like my skiis right now, but longer boards would give me better stability on landing jumps and at higher speeds, so they're tempting, even though lugging them around Tokyo would be a pain (another benefit of shorter boards for city people without cars).

Quote:
Originally posted by number9:
even though lugging them around Tokyo would be a pain (another benefit of shorter boards for city people without cars).
That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard

Just get big skis and learn how to use them

\:D Warning: long post with lots of quotes!

I ride skiboards (Snoblades is just the name of the Solomon ones) and love them.

eek.gif eek.gif

So easy to learn. Attempted my first ever black mogul run on the party weekend (it was an accident – got over the brow of the hill and there they were), but it wasn’t half as bad as I expected. Don’t think I could have done that on skis.

I’ve only got less than 30 snow days behind me so am not that good. Would be interested to hear criticism from someone who has tried them (I mean real skiboards – not the Solomon snoblades or the cheap supermarket jobs).

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:

I'd tell somebody to start on shorter skis. Not snowblades. A ski with a real release binding.

Actually…

I’ve only got about 30 or so snow days behind me so don’t have the skill or experience to comment on BC stuff so here are a few comments from skiboards.com forums

"Steep and Deep on the Spruce 120 !!! Day 2 report on my Tele mounted Spruce 120… Details , details : Vp-2 tele binding custom mounted pin center 3cm ahead of ski center , on home riser , epoxied oak heel plate , Scarpa T2 tele boots , BCA low fat skins to climb , rider ( ie me ) 6' 195 llbs carrying 15 pound backcountry pack. Today full on Sierra Storm conditions , snowing heavy all day 1 1/2 to 2 feet of steep untracked dry powder ... Location , ( well , that's a secret!) Let s just say my friends and I call the run Screwy Louie .. It is a spot reached by climbing on skis through a forest and then along a windswept ridge .. Doesn't look like a rideable slope when you get there the run is blocked by tight trees , but ride through the trees and suddenly you are in about a two skier wide powder chute sprinkled with big trees, then turn skiers left quickly and boom out on an narrow open steep powder funnel that throws you out in to a minefield of snow covered big boulders and then skiers left again down a more moderate long powder slope with big trees all the way down to a Frozen lake ! Sweet ! and today super sweet being a full on goggle , powder day with no one there but my two buddies and I ..

Through the years I have dropped Screwy Louie in all kinds of sliding equipment , big skis, rando skis, tele skis , teleboard (telemark mono ski ) and most recently Hagan 133's both randonee mounted and tele mounted...

Today is the day for the new Spruce 120 -mounted Tele style , So how did it do ??? .... All I can say is yes!!! home run , Jeff!! this is one sweet fabulous ride ! First I dropped the tight steep first section of Screwy Louie Skiboard style flat footed ... Oh my ! super buttery feel in powder turns , plenty of float (never wished for a bigger board ) super maneuverable in the tight steep trees , wonderful control , down the Funnel and across the boulder field and then out on to the more moderate deep powder slope .. switched to Tele style .OH MY ! SWEET , SWEET TELE TURNS .. , smooth support riding high on the snow , easy weightless pow tele turns .,... ... While the Spruce on hard pack demands a precise carve when ridden tele style , in the pow , it is a pussy cat , forgiving , buttery , smooth , ! Sweet ! Surfs up ! Bring on the pow , baby !!!”

“I have ridden these boards all last season . The Hagans ride like a skiboard with all the great characteristics of skiboards of easy and intuitive turning but perform in powder like a big powder ski . These boards perform great on hard pack but it is in soft snow and powder that they shine . The design of these boards with the very wide tip, good width underfoot and narrow tail with the recommended boot center mounting toward the rear of the ski allow the boards to plane with tips up in deep snow without having to think about sinking or riding the tails ( this just happens naturally ) . I actually find them more fun then my traditional long powder skis . My buddies who are all on big fat skis ride up on the powder and control their speed by making wider turns on steep terrain . With the Hagans with the tails sinking and the tips planing easily to the surface , I take a more direct fall line descent down the snow , pivoting and porpoising down the slope . If the snow is not exactly perfect like it often is in the backcountry and my buddies are flailing , I usually am having a great time on the Hagans easily turning in all manner of crust , and heavy wet snow ! Of course when I show up with the Hagans on a powder day , people think I am nuts and will sink to the bottom like a rock ( that is until they see me go down the slope !)

The Hagans are a sturdy board and can be mounted with any kind of binding you like .. Doc for example will mount them with an alpine Tyrolia railflex binding or with backcountry Fritschi bindings. or you can have them mounted yourself with any regular alpine release binding ... I have used them with telemark bindings and very light weight Dynafit randonee bindings ... The board performs well with all kinds of bindings and is very versatile ! As you can tell , I am a big fan and I feel you cannot go wrong with this board! ps . this year the board has come out with a wood core rather than a foam type core which is great and with their sturdy construction should make them last forever!”

“I can attest to the fact that skiboards work in deep powder. Why? Usually the wider skiboards are half the length, but twice as wide as skis so have similar surface area. As you know, you ride skiboards off the back tails, much like the feeling of water skiing. Steeper terrain is better of course. Having skied powder on skis many times, I personally prefer skiboards as they are much easier to ride in powder. As for explaining this to skiers or snowboarders, I usually tell them to follow me. On many occasions, my snowboarder buddies have gotten stuck in deep powder and I have had to help them get out. As for skis, it takes a different technique to ride powder and much more effort. Not surprised non-skiboarders don't get it. More fresh tracks in the glades for us!

The primary reason skiboards work better than expected in powder is related to a fundamental difference between the way we ride our boards, and the way skiers ride skis. Basically, at any given time we have our weight distributed fairly evenly over both boards. Skiers quickly learn to have their weight principally on one ski only at any given time. Skiers tend to think skiboards are just short, or even worse "toy" skis. How wrong can you be. It is a whole different sport!”

“That totally depends on what you mean by float. Of course they float when you are Bombing down the steeps. However when you are slogging uphill and breaking trail at the same time, not even snowshoes are going to float the way you would like them to.

I have been outback on the Rossi back country offering which has a free heel and even a step device for ascents. These boards rocked for both up and down, but they sunk on the flats. Of course, I weigh 200 lbs. A smaller person would have had no trouble.”

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:

they are just silly. It's like watching rollerbladers in a halfpipe grabbing their boots. It just doesn't look right. Use them if you like but don't expect any respect

Not everyone is on the mountain to get “respect”. Some people just want to enjoy themselves.

;\)

me jane

Thanks! I will stick to the 120cm short Atomic carver with release binding them.

I saw MANY skiboards in Happo and I did not get the feeling that people look at them as 'silly.

The ski intructor downgraded them as 'just for fun'. But really, for what other reason do most people ski?

BTW, what are these long single boards that people bind to their feets and then sit next to them on the slopes all day long?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kraut_in_HongKong:

BTW, what are these long single boards that people bind to their feets and then sit next to them on the slopes all day long?
lol.gif I've often wondered that myself KIHK ;\)
They look remarkably similar to the snowboard, but they certainly don't seem to be used in the same way confused.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kraut_in_HongKong:

I did not get the feeling that people look at them as 'silly.
That's because you're in Japan

They also think that skibikes, carving, moguls, fartbags and smoking are cool as well

Those ski-bikes are hella retarded. Sure, it'd be fun to ride on for like...umm...an hour, maybe two. Then back to a snowboard or skis.

I'll probably try a snowblade (just sounds cooler than skiblade) for half a day or something. Nothing permanent, I'm just one of those type of ppl who like to try whatever sports are available.

I've gone waterskiing, wakeboarding, skateboarding, inline skating, bmx bikes, mountain bikes, road bikes, kneeboarding, snowboarding, skiing, etc.

I need to add in some snowblades, ice skates, and just about whatever other watersports on the beach (like surfing) to my repertoire. I like to try everything at least once.

I snowboard now, I feel it suits my style over skiing. Course, it's been like 6 years since I last went skiing. Wonder how well I'd do now.