I have a long list of backcountry/off-piste related questions, so please bear with me. I am posting these questions that are very important to me, after spending hours going through past threads and not finding the answers.

1. Prior training: Is it okay to go backcountry/off-piste with no prior experience or training, if you are going out with a local guide? Or is it a must to get the elementary training first?

2. Skiing level: Do you have to be an advanced skier to go backcountry? I have a wife who is novice-to-intermediary and really want to take her along if I decide to go with a guide, so she can appreciate what the backcountry can offer.

3. Type of skis: For example, if I decide to stay within bounds (at Niseko) for two days and go backcountry for one day, what type of skis do I need to rent? Are fat skis a must for backcountry/off-piste?

4. Niseko off-piste runs: If I want to try out the famous off-piste runs at Niseko (e.g., strawberry fields, rob roy, mirahashi), would I still need a guide, or are they safe enough to venture alone (perhaps by closely following other skiers)?

5. Denifitions: How is off-piste different from backcountry? I know you have to go off-piste to ski backcountry, but are they otherwise more or less synonymous?

Many thanks to those who kindly answer my questions. It is a pity that backcountry skiing has not caught on yet in my home country of Korea, which is why I am so looking forward to doing it at Niseko.

1. If you go with an accreditted back-country guide, they should take you through the safety proceedures of using your beacon, probe and shovel. It's also their responsibility to ensure all is done to maintain the safety of the tour group. You want someone with guide and avalanche training.

2. if you're just touring around and intermediate skier would be fine, however if you're going to find some powder runs it may be more difficult.. being able to ski powder is a big plus.

3. You don't have to use fat skiis, but they make it easier.

4. those runs are in the resort, you don't need a guide, but be advised that it is advanced terrain, so if you're not comfortable in powder snow it might not be all that enjoyable.

5. Off piste is in the resort where the snow isn't groomed, the resort (unless the area is roped off) has a responsibility to ensure the safety of it's customers, ie. ski patrol will patrol off piste areas inbounds. Back country is basically just going bush, you take responsibility for your safety, it's beautiful, but without a proper understanding of the risks inherent, it's not advisable to venture out.

You don't need to go back country in Niseko, there's plenty of powder in the resort.

well im not super knowledgable but im bored and these seem pretty easy to answer.

1. yes. any decent guide should check what you know and provide appropriate training/equipment depending on where they are taking you.

2. maybe wait till your wife is intermediate+, you might have a bit more fun. try finding some powder stashes in bounds of a ski area and learn to ski them first.

3. fatter skis than you would usually use are ideal, but dont go nuts.

4. you dont need a guide... but be careful and go with a more experienced skier if you have any doubts. be aware that patrol doesnt operate in some of these areas (they are clearly marked at niseko) and if you fall into a hole or hurt yourself you may not get found for a long time.

5. piste = groomed

off piste = ungroomed, sometimes out of bounds

backcountry i generally associate with using skins, away from lifts and resorts altogether. backcountry is still off piste but off piste isnt necessarily backcountry

Quote:
Originally posted by snowzzang:

3. Type of skis: For example, if I decide to stay within bounds (at Niseko) for two days and go backcountry for one day, what type of skis do I need to rent? Are fat skis a must for backcountry/off-piste?
If you are a real man you'll be on 180cm skis that are 100mm in the waste
At least

5. piste = groomed

off piste = ungroomed, sometimes out of bounds

backcountry i generally associate with using skins, away from lifts and resorts altogether. backcountry is still off piste but off piste isnt necessarily backcountry

Thats not a bad way to explain it.

Just access everything at niseko through the gates and you will be fine.