Niseko, 12 to 18-March. Looking forward to it.

Hello everyone,

This is only my second post on this forum. My first was a few months ago. Anyway, I am an avid snowboarder from Ireland. I will be in Niseko from the 12th to 18th of March as part of a three week holiday in Japan.

I normally snowboard in the French and Austrian Alps but I am looking forward to some world famous powder snow in Niseko. I hear that snow conditions are pretty good there at the moment.

Can anyone offer any advise as to the best Aprés-ski pubs, snowboard rental shops etc. Any lone snowboarders (or skiers) out there who will be in Niseko at the same time?

I know quite a few people from here that are going to Niseko - and a fair few for the first time.

Perhaps they just don't talk about it so much...... it's not as if you know everyone on here Fattwins, hey ;\)

Hiya bnpobrien,

There are quite a few gaijin orientated type bars in Hirafu. One from memory is called Fatties. There is even a club up there. When you get to your hotel/pension they should have a streetmap of the town which marks each place on(in english too!). Nothing should be more than 10-15mins (brisk) walk. Sorry I dont have an electronic map to hand.

Also there are loads of Aussie's there so you should have no problems even if your Japanese skills are limited. In fact even the J-style restaurants/bars will speak a little english becos of the influx of gaijins.

Hope this helps (at least a little).

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
I never said that I know every person now did I
duh
I bumped the guys thread and Im gonna get cut down
People raggin on the guy when he went out of his way to bump this thing to the top thumbsup.gif

I'd have called him a gorby jong for asking silly questions. But that's just me

go to the GYU BAR - its the coolest place in niseko by miles.

i'v heard there are some cool bars in nearby kutchan too - someone (here or on ski.com.au) was taking about a bar there that is also a skateboard park!

& be sure to have a meal at "bang bang", you have to ring & book in advance though. awesome food.

I kind of got the feeling form reading earlier posts that Niseko is not as popular as it used to be. To be honest I am not too concerned about this. As long the snow is powdery I will be happy.

I will certainly pop into GYU BAR and check it out. By the way I know that Japan is an expensive country. Is Japan so expensive that it affects the après-ski scene?

I think you'll find it's the other way round. Niseko is getting hugely popular with foreign visitors-particularly those who aren't residents in Japan. There is some backlash as a result of this, with some foreign residents and some return tourists deciding to go elsewhere. Not sure what the effect is on Japanese patronage, though this has been on the decline across the board in Japan anyway.

One thing that hasn't changed is the quality and quantity of powder. I have mostly heard good things about the place, but some people have said it's not as good as it used to be as more tourists hit it.

Things change and Hakuba is no different. When I first started going in 2000/2001 hardly anyone seemed to ride in-resort off piste terrain-pretty different nowdays and many old secret stashes are old news. No worries though as there's plenty still out there, and about 13 resorts to choose from in the valley.

As to the situation in Niseko vis-a-vis crowds I really don't know. I've never been and may never do so because, for me, Hakuba is steeper, closer, cheaper, and I almost always ride good powder there.

Japan isn't that expensive if you do you homework and have a nose for not wasting money. Apres ski is limited by a lack of demand for it by Japanese punters, many of whom would rather chill at their accomodations, hit the onsen, or drink and eat at a restaurant with their crew, after a day in the snow. Beers should cost you about 500 yen in a bar or about 300 yen for a tallboy in a shop. Lift passes are usually 4,500 per day, accomodation in backpackers where you can cook your own food 3,000 yen per night. Hardly astronomical, but if you're looking to spend heaps there are plenty of options in that line.

Don't worry dude, I'm sure you'll have a blast in Niseko, and air tickets aside, it shouldn't cost that much more than Austria.

The Japan is expensive is an old bubble myth. You will find it cheaper than most other resorts.

I slag Niseko I admit it. It doesnt have what I want to ski but... when you look at it there are a ton of people who come back and say the it was a great trip. If it snows the resort will give you what you want, enjoy it.