• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading cb's post about Hakuba, I guess I have to give Nagano another try. I've been skiing Niseko at Christmas time for the last three seasons and was thoroughly impressed with the snow and the increasing number of Aussies hasn't affected my vacation yet... But the lack of steeps is clear.

Went to Happo years ago at New Years.--bad year, crappy crusty snow with minimal coverage. I had heard that Happo had the steepest run in Japan but I've found more interesting stuff at Hachikita in Hyogo. I think it was just a bad year though. I guess I have to go in late Jan or Feb and spend more time seekeing out the good stuff. Is Hakuba better (steeper) than Shiga, or the Arai area? Is it easy to access bc and off-piste? I recall a some really big fences.

Ger, as far as Shiga goes Ive only been on the Yokoteyama side so thats the only area I know. Its got a few decent runs but its primarily a beginner-intermediate run area IMO. Sure SKI has been to Yakebitai which is suppose to have some really nice BC but he will have to answer that.

Hakuba is sick. Awesome runs with some really sick terrain. Id suggest going back as the off-piste is right off the lifts and BC, well, if you know the runs and traverse out its great but a lot of it is quite dangerous and avie prone so please know what youre doing.

Ger, This does seem to be going round and round and round. So here is my two cents worth. From my personal experience (only) Niseko has best and most reliable snow, Hakuba has great terrain and easy access to offpiste stuff but the snow can get very heavy at times throughout the season and is packed on the w.e. Been to Iwate (only once tho') and that was pretty cool with some terrain and great snow and very empty. Niigata has great mix of terrain/snow quality but can also get busy. However, resorts being busy here is nothing compared with european resorts apart from maybe GALA.

To be honest its all good and you would be pretty unlucky to get a bad trip (not that kind). As my mate says, "a bad day on the slopes still beats a good day in the office"

Ganbare

Quote:
However, resorts being busy here is nothing compared with european resorts apart from maybe GALA.
Now way! I've always had this impression that Japanese resorts were impossibly busy and crowded when compared to the rest of the world, from what others have written. (Though the only time I experienced somewhat crowded resorts this season was at Gala and Ishiuchi last weekend.)

Number9, again its only my humble opinion but I have found J-resorts to be pretty quiet on the whole with only a short wait for lifts/gondolas etc. HOwever, GALA/Ishiuchi, Naeba and Happo-one are exceptions becos they are the "famous" ones where all the cool kids from tokyo/Osaka areas like to hang out. SO if possible, I would avoid these three places like the plague on the w.e

Then again opinions are like a&&holes, everyone has one. babab-boom!

Just got back from Niseko. Yep, six years changes a lot. Not that it's a bad thing, but there was about 1000 time as many Australlians there this time compared to last. Still had a good time though. Met lets of cool people and saw lots of uncool people. It was a lot warmer that I wanted it to be. Wasn't counting on the rain, the near zero visibility condition or a stomach virus either. The last day up (yesterday) was clear and way to warm. I was just happy that the toilet was across the hall.

Boarded most days on Happo on my two weeks in Hakuba this year. Most lift rides there was no one in front of me and no one behind me. One time I got down to the lift line the same time as a bus load of people were getting on. Grabbed myself a can of coffee and strolled up to the lift. I seriosly have never been in a lift line of more than twenty people in Japan.

Quote:
Originally posted by DrewInJapan:
Wasn't counting on the rain, the near zero visibility condition or a stomach virus either.
That's too bad DIJ
Sucks when the conditions don't work out
Mother Nature can be a real bitch sometimes
 Quote:
have you been off-piste there SKI?
Once, with the ski patrol. I was invited by a friend of a friend they were doing some work out there. It was very interesting.

There's actually a lot of great runs on the actual resort at Okushiga/Yakebitai and not that many ropes around actually.