• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of some of the bad behaviour that has been going on this season at Niskeo the local police have initiated a ban on serving alchohol after midnight. This should help reduce the drunken louts in the early hours of the morning.

No seving of alcohol after midnight! How do they enforce it? Is this ban only for gaigin or for everyone? That's gotta effect the profits of some establishments. I never knew things had gotten to that stage up there.

There were some recent incidents where some guys took some snow clearers for joy rides and there was a car taken also. It's got to the stage where you can't go into a place and leave the car running!

Anyway the police, along with the rest of us, haven't been too impressed and have advised all bars that they must stop serving alchohol after midnight.

Just home from Niseko - Beaver and the others are still over there - no doubt you have seen the pics *grin*

Just my experiences - We were a large group of Aussie guys and a few girls (10+) we never experienced a midnight curfew - we drank well into the morning on a few occasions.

I can drinks with Aussies the rest of the year! I find nothing worse than travelling to the other side of the world to talk to White Rapstars from Dee Why talk about the jumps they pulled off on their 2nd day on skiis.

We never experienced any problems. All of us look forward to experiencing Japanese culture, food and trying to take on a bit of the language. Maybe that is a different attitude, we spent most of our time drinking with Japanese and practising (humbly) our language skills and vice versa. There was a few occasions when the group was the only Aussies in the place. Either I am naive or we were well received....

I did however notice quite a few older male tour groups - it reminded me of the end of season footy trip.... those guys sucks no matter where they are from - please dont generalise and paint all Aussies with the same brush...

I do see the point how a 6ft4 guy isnt the norm for Japan and that can be intimidating - Ive still got bumps of my head to remind me (from the small door frames, low flying lights etc) - again maybe its an attitude thing, Beav was lapping up the attention it brought at the KFC disco. I didnt perceive any problems either.

I guess the key is dont judge a book by its cover - a quick hello (in whatever language or format) Id hope would always get you a friendly smile and a reply we are on holidays after all and fun is what it should be about.

Yep 99.9% of people who come here have a great time without causing any trouble whatsoever. Hell it's a ski resort and people are going to go out drinking and have fun. It's just a few dicks who bugger it up for everyone else.

Fattwins yes the police (most in plain clothes) had a heavy presence in the village and tried to catch the culprits. Don't think they were successful. The police are certainly cracking down on Gaijin drivers and I certainly won't touch a drop if I'm driving.

The midnight curfew is for all as far as I know. Personally if I go out these days I go into Kutchan. Great restaurants and bars and never any problems.

ski beaver, here, if somebody gets pulled over for drunk driving the penalty for anybody in the car is 30man. The driver might be up to 50man..dont really know so dont quote me. But 30man is right. So, add in grand theft auto, possible destruction of property and drunk...well, theyd be f***ed eek.gif

Quote:
I did however notice quite a few older male tour groups - it reminded me of the end of season footy trip.... those guys sucks no matter where they are from - please dont generalise and paint all Aussies with the same brush...
So, it's ok to generalize about older males :p
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ski Beaver:
Just out of interest, what sort of penalty would someone be looking at if they were caught drunk driving in a stolen snow clearing tractor.
Not only that
If you are a gaijin you can probably expect to spend a bit of time in jail, loose your job and then you will be deported
That's what they tell us in the JET program at least