actually I avoid eye contact when I see a white guy on the street. What should I do stop and have a chat, high five him because we're both white and rockstars? I avoid eye contact wth a great number of people I don't know. Do you say hi to everyone on the train?

but then again this has nothing to do with niseko. niseko is hardly a 'well-kept secret' with only a handful gaijin that are pissed off other gaijin have found it. It's about the problem of tourism. It's not just aussies in niseko, it's the same at every other popular ski resort

011 FT's 'don't tell anyone about the goodies' could be considered selfish & territorial if it was a good onsen or something...but should you post directions to good spots that could get people killed? that is not type 2 but common sense.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i frist gt hear I was lost in Shinsuku compleatly lost, I tried to wave down a causcaasian male but he compleatley ignored me, I just wanted to

find the entrance to the subway, it saddened me being rijected like that, I couldnt understand it,

well after beign rijected like that, I said to meself 'not trying that again', I made sure I asked a young lady next.

> but should you post directions to good spots that could get people killed? that is not type 2 but common sense.

Sure, why not? You can tell them it's dangerous and not wet your bed about anything else that's not your responsibility.

That's just extra topping of Type 2 personality - convincing yourself that you know best and have some poor beginner's interests at heart when you're really just playing neko baba with the good snow. (Especially when you then lead innocent mates to places where they fall in creeks, and narrowly miss falling in crevasses and getting caught in slides. Ahem.)

I'm a firm believer in Type 2 personality, in all its several forms, because I've seen it for myself.

I love how you throw names at me Ocean so please throw more. You are trying to do the same thing that you do to everyone else, get me to respond back in a way that might get me into hot water. You belittle people who for whatever reason that cant write as well as you, that is sad. We all have different skills and ill admit to being an average to poor writer, and that I don’t have the ability to win a verbal war with you. That doesn’t mean that I don’t have other skills on which to fall back on. These are the things that make people different, but you attack these things for whatever reason.

Next

I’m not, nor never am going to point out where some lines will kill you, why should I? I will ski with someone and after seeing how well the ski or ride, take them into areas that I think they can handle. I did with Kim and his friend and we had a blast. To publish lines like that is something I don’t want to be responsible for. Remember that I wrote an article about where to find safe powder in Gifu. To say that I’m type 2 because I don’t want to be responsible for unskilled people heading into certain areas is idiotic.

So Ocean what is the next big name that you are going to call me I'm waiting to see what you can come up with? I figure the next step is that you will copy and paste my pm that told you to stop attacking me. Please paste away.

• SnowJapan Admin

About the personal insults and bad-mouthing of other members that has at times appeared in this thread and very occasionally in other threads on the Forums.

Everyone, please... let’s keep that kind of thing off the Forums – it does not belong here.

From now on, if we feel that someone goes too far in this respect, we will take away their posting rights on the Forums for a period of time we see fit. As you well know we do not want to have to take that kind of action, but if we feel it is for the good of the Forums in general, we will.

So please, please, we respectfully ask that you don’t make us feel that we have to do that.

If anyone feels they have something to report to us, just mail us at the usual address or click on the “Report Post” link you can find under every post.

Sorry for having to bring this up.

Thank you for your understanding.

(Let’s friendly)

Oh my..., where have I been? missing all the action on this thread.

Respect for the others, let's ponder the tought...

....Done, now let's reel them in!

Is it true that foreigners cut in line at Niseko? lol.gif

Only overly emotional answers to that question will be accepted.

• 4 months later...

I haven't bothered reading this whole thread as I'm not interested in a 15-page slanging match, but...it seems to be a natural trait that gaijin based in Japan have a bit of pride about their 'rights' as residents despite the fact that, language skills apart, we look exactly the same to most Japanese anyway.

Nobody should get too much of a big head about their status in Japan - just go out and enjoy. The advantage of being resident is that there's so much more that you can do that visitors naturally can't.

To any overseas visitors coming to Niseko, my advice would be enjoy yourself on the slopes and during apres ski, but remember that you are in a foreign country (shouldn't be too hard...), behave yourself, and leave any prejudice at home. There'll be no welcome for some of the attitudes that people seem prepared to bring with them.

totally agree with that last paragraph skidaisuki. Not sure that this thread was about foreigners with big heads about their status though... But anyway, it's all there to read. I'm not re-opening this one.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
totally agree with that last paragraph skidaisuki. Not sure that this thread was about foreigners with big heads about their status though... But anyway, it's all there to read. I'm not re-opening this one.
what? confused.gif you STARTED this thread lol.gif

Bushpig - I only said that because of a couple of messages that I read (out of 15 pages)... that's why I mentioned.

I haven't been to Niseko since the Aussie invasion so I don't have personal experience of whether Hirafu is better or worse for it. I'm reserving judgement until Jan/Feb 07.

From what I heard, on the whole they've livened the place up and the local bar owners think that they've died and gone to heaven...

Niseko Problems:

There are quite a lot of long, flat traverses

The runs arent very long (comparatively)

The runs arent challenging enough for me to go back anymore.

Niseko Advantages:

Powder is amazing

The level of the mtn suits most people

One of the best night skiing spots (if not the best) in Japan

The OB is easy to drop in and get out